Increasing the size of a qult

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Increasing the size of a qult

I know im crazy but im doing this. Ive been told it will look terrible and it will work fine so I guess we shall see. The only way I know to add to it is to do it like quilt as you go. Does anyone know the size of strip I should use to attach the new section to the quilt?
    Attached Files

Re: Increasing the size of a qult

I am no expert but I would use the strips you want to add. Place one strip on top of the end you are working on( right side of the srtip laying on the right side of the quilt.. place the backing with filler in the back and sew through all. Press away from seem and you have one strip added. Do top and bottom and add the sides. I did a quilt this way adding strips as you go and it worked great. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

so I dont need a strip to connect the strip I am adding, just use the new piece and add them?

Comment

Originally posted by PamClark View Post
        so I dont need a strip to connect the strip I am adding, just use the new piece and add them?
        You need a strip to cover the seams. You would have a lump from the seam if you didn't use a connecting strip, they allow everything to lay straight. If you go to YouTube and search "quilt as you go" you will get several videos that will explain the process a little better.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Originally posted by PamClark View Post
          Pamk that is what I have done and it is quick and easy. I trimmed the extra betting right to the stitch line after joining. You might try just a small piece with big stitches just to see what you think. I have never tried the joint with strips yet.

Comment

Just an idea, attach the top and the back without batting, stitch it down, then slide the batting in and whip stitch it to the edge of the previous batting that way you won't have a thick seam. Then quilt it down.
            Vonnie

Comment

ok thanks everyone!

Comment

I have never tried this, but what if you zigzaged your batting to the original batting, first. That way it would be nice and flat. And you wouldn't need a joining strip. Then add your top and bottom pieces.

Comment

Working...
                X