Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding Borders to an existing quilt

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Adding Borders to an existing quilt

    Hello my friends, I hope all is well!! I know this will be a crazy idea but when I first started quilting last year, I was making a quilt and my daughter loved it and took it. Well it's just too small so is it possible to take off the binding and add borders? Or is that not ever done?

    Thanks!!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by PamClark; May 17th, 2016, 07:04 PM.

    #2
    Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

    Sorry I don't know why this is sideways. It's won't change.

    Comment


      #3
      Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

      That's not something I would attempt to do. I can't visualize how that would work. I think you'll have to make another quilt.

      Comment


        #4
        Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

        I was gifted a small quilt and wanted it larger. Thus I cut off the binding and added a 12 inch border.. Just make sure you sandwich the border and quilt it before adding it to your quilt. That was the way I did my "addition". since I do everything on my home machine.. No long arm here.
        Judy

        Click HERE to find me and My imagination
        :icon_wave:

        Comment


          #5
          Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

          I am sure it can be done. I would research the various 'quilt as you go' techniques and see which one would work for you.
          If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

          Comment


            #6
            Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

            I have a baby quilt in front of me with out any binding. So I would cut that off first. Then butt it up and zig-zag your batting first, . Then add the extra fabric wrong sides together and flip it over, you can do both sides at the same time. Quilt it and add your binding.

            I saw an article on it, so its doable. I hope that helps!

            That was wrong side of border to right side of quilt.

            okay the politics messed me up. It's right sides together. I have to stop watching this crap.
            Last edited by Hulamoon; May 17th, 2016, 10:27 PM.
            Lorie
            🌺Kauai🌺

            Comment


              #7
              Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

              Couldn't you use the method they do for the serger quilts? Take off the binding then add the new border like they make the serger quilts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdONf2oaQM0
              Susan Davis
              Remember, the mighty oak was just a nut that held its ground.

              Comment


                #8
                Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                I would treat it as a Quilt A You Go and have fun. You'll make each side of the border, sandwich and quilt it, then sew a thin sashing strip to join it to the quilt. Continue all the way around the quilt and then bind. Good luck!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                  I think Snippet has the right idea. The quilt-as-you-go method is the only way I could see this working since the original quilt has already been quilted.
                  Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                    Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                    okay the politics messed me up. It's right sides together. I have to stop watching this crap.
                    Lorie, you crack me like an egg!!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                      Thank you all so much!!!! This gives me so much hope!! I was told by some other people that it would look terrible but I couldn't see why it wouldn't work and look just like other quilts. Well maybe not exactly like that but I think it will be fine.

                      I'm going for it!!!! I'll let you know what happens!!!!

                      She loves this quilt so much. She got married in December and had to move away with her new husband for the Army so this is what she cuddles with to have her momma's arms around her. It has to be right!!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                        Originally posted by Granny Judy View Post
                        I was gifted a small quilt and wanted it larger. Thus I cut off the binding and added a 12 inch border.. Just make sure you sandwich the border and quilt it before adding it to your quilt. That was the way I did my "addition". since I do everything on my home machine.. No long arm here.
                        So then just sew it on with a 1/4"seam?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                          Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                          I have a baby quilt in front of me with out any binding. So I would cut that off first. Then butt it up and zig-zag your batting first, . Then add the extra fabric wrong sides together and flip it over, you can do both sides at the same time. Quilt it and add your binding.

                          I saw an article on it, so its doable. I hope that helps!

                          That was wrong side of border to right side of quilt.

                          okay the politics messed me up. It's right sides together. I have to stop watching this crap.
                          HA!!!! This seams like the most simple way, the way it was in my head anyway but everyone said that won't work!!!! But it seemed like it would to me. I need to look for that article. Thanks!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                            image.jpg

                            Ok here it is before I start. Lord please don't let me ruin this quilt!!!!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Re: Adding Borders to an existing quilt

                              I have never done that but I don't see why you couldn't try. I would not even remove the binding, just border that and put a bigger binding around the whole thing. The back might look a little funky but I think it would look okay on the front. Or for the extended version you could make the back look real interesting with a completely new print. I am assuming you probably don't have enough yardage left over from when you made the back originally. I am going to be watching this post. I am curious what others will say! God luck.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X