Big boo-boo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big boo-boo

I just finished quilting a present for my neighbor. My binding is ready to go and I just found out I have a problem
    When lining the binding up with the back of the quilt, I saw that I stupidly neglected to cut the selvedge off and now it is exposed. The binding will not cover it. I can't sew another piece on it, and besides it wouldn't look right.

What can I do? Undo the quilting? Glue? Ack.

Re: Big boo-boo

How about trimming it down all the way around? Unless your going too lose much of the design.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

I agree with Hulamoon....can you trim an inch off all around before binding?
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

If it is a small area you could put your label over it.

Comment

well, if my neighbor went to all the trouble of making a quilt for me I would certainly overlook anything and appreciate the gift....
          Sew sew sew.
          So? So? So?

Comment

It isn't life-altering. Go with it. Or, as Claire said, make a label to go over it.

Comment

How about that method Pretti came up with the one time her backing sifted and she came up a little short.
              Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
                How about that method Pretti came up with the one time her backing sifted and she came up a little short.
                I'm not familiar with this. Do you have details or a link?

Comment

Sew Preeti Quilts: Mistake? No. Scenic Route YES!!!
                  Preeti
                  http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

What about adding some wide ric-rac all the way around the backing before sewing down the binding? Would that cover it?
                    Tenacity: The quality or fact of being very determined; determination.

Comment

Make wider binding?
                      Vonnie

Comment

I had the same problem when asked to finish a quilt for a friend. The original maker had left the selvage on. It was also near the binding edge. I found a fabric marker in the closest color I could find. Not perfect but much less noticable.

Comment

Could you possibly get away with acting like the selvege was part of the Quilt design? (I am making a scrap quilt right now that I am actually hunting down selveges to put in some of my blocks, on purpose.) Otherwise you don't have much choice, trim it as far as you can, and if you have to, make a wider binding. I bet you will never make this mistake again though.

Comment

Take the binding off and make a new wider one.

Comment

Yowza! Great idea, making a label to cover it! I think that will work just fine.

I appreciate all the replies and NO I will never make that mistake again!

Comment

Working...
                              X