quilting foot or walking foot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quilting foot or walking foot?

Ok I thought I would "hand quilt" after about 30 minutes and a snapped needle I've decided to machine quilt! but my machine doesnt have a quilting foot. When I started looking for a universal quilting foot I found a quilting foot and a walking foot! what is the difference and are the feed dogs suppose to be down or up? my little wall hanging is done except the quilting part!!!! Ugh I really don't wanna give up but I'm growing more frustrated by the minute thanks for the help

Kelly

Re: quilting foot or walking foot?

Kelly -
    I don't have a quilting foot and I'm not sure if I have a walking foot. However, I do think it depends on what kind of machine quilting you are planning on doing.
    I do free motion quilting - like when you want to try circles or an all over stippling. I use a free motion foot and have a cover to put on my feed dogs. The feed dogs purpose on a machine is to pull your fabric through. If you just want to do a straight stitch, like maybe X's in blocks or something like that, I would think you could use a regular foot and leave the feed dogs alone. You might want to change the length of your stitch to something not so tiny.
    Using the machine gloves helps grip your quilt too if you happen to have any of those.

Maybe you could google 'quilting foot' and 'walking foot' and maybe there's a site out there that can tell you the difference.

If you would do an all over type stippling, I would advise you to practice on some practice fabric first with the 3 layers (backing, batting, and your top) because sometimes people say they have to adjust their tension and they can get loops in the stitches on the back they don't like. Also, you want to try and keep your foot going on the foot pedal and your hands moving the quilt at certain speeds so you don't get loops on the top. I practice lots before I put my quilt on there and I do the practice every time I want to do a quilt.

Try not to get frustrated. Especially if you have some scrap material to practice on. I was ready to give up when I first started machine quilting, but just keep going or try another day.

I'm sure you can do it!

Hugs,
    quilting trish
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

a walking foot is for straight line quilting. it feed the quilt "sandwich" from above in conjunction with the feed dogs below so all layers move in the same direction at the same time.

a "quilting foot" or "darning foot" or "free motion foot" allow you to move the fabric freely at whatever speed and direction you move it. the feed dogs are dropped for these feet to be used. if you are unable to drop your feed dogs you can cover them.

good luck and if you have any more questions please let us know!! don't get frustrated...we all have to start somewhere!!
      Michele

Comment

I'm a bit of a beginner so I haven't attempted free motion quilting yet. At the moment I've been quilting straight lines using the machine and hand quilting any curves. I bought a walking foot because when I tried quilting with a standard foot, the backing got pulled through faster than the quilt top which led to lots of puckers.

The walking foot pulls through the top and the feed dogs pull through the backing so you get nice neat lines and no puckering.
        Quilting through the dull times
        northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks everybody! So I think I'm going to have to find me a Walking foot If you know of anywhere good I can get a universal one I would appreciate it.. Thanks again

Kelly

Comment

I found my walking foot at Joann Fabrics. They were very helpful and let me take it out of the package and try it on a model machine (the same one I have at home) to make sure it fit. Using my 50% off coupon, I was able to get the foot for $7.50.

If you google your machine brand, I'm sure you'll be able to find accessories for it if you dont mind shopping online.
            ~Mary
            As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

Comment

thanks Mary I tried joanns but they didn't have anything. I did stop by a quilt shop in my home town and the owner was VERY nice (she even let me play on her machine in the back of her shop) she told me that my machine was made by Kenmore so I was able to find a free motion foot on the internet! I can't wait for it to get here!

Kelly

Comment

Working...
              X