Half-Square Triangle question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half-Square Triangle question

I'm attempting an HST pattern for the first time. In setting the blocks, what's the best way to deal with the excess fabric triangles that poke out from the corners? Right now, I'm snipping them off as I go. Is there an easier/more efficient way to get rid of them?

Thanks so much!

Re: Half-Square Triangle question

Nope... snip away. Unless you want to make all of the HST's and then snip them all at once.

Comment

That works! Thanks and wish me luck! I'm really stepping out of my comfort level doing this, but I figure how else am I going to learn?

Comment

I usually wait until I square up my HSTs and the dogs ears get trimmed off then.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Love that you're stepping out of your comfort level, it's a great thing to have fun and challenge yourself!

I don't like dealing with dog ears, so I don't have a set way I deal with them. I deal with them when I feel like it. Sometimes I'm all neat and tidy and just so there clipping a stack of them just to get them out of the way and done. In a small hexie pillow I'm working on, I actually need the dog ears the line up my points as I sew my rows together, so I'm snipping them after I have the front page the pillow all finished.

You'll get into your own rhythm and find what works for you

Comment

I square each block as I make it. The dog ears get trimmed off then.

Comment

I think starch is your friend when making HST's. I like to starch all the fabric before I cut into it. I find it really helps with dealing with the bias stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by goofyizzy View Post
                I think starch is your friend when making HST's. I like to starch all the fabric before I cut into it. I find it really helps with dealing with the bias stretch.
                Great advice... I starch everything, as I go.... Before I cut, pieced parts of blocks...everything. I think it helps keep things from going wonky.... I have to do much less squaring up....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Just snip them off so they don't become extra bulk in the seams.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have a lot of sleepless nights, and that's why I took up quilting. It gives me something to do while everyone else is trying to sleep. My Mom was a night owl, and took that time to do vacuuming, haha! Anyway, sometimes I'm productive and get a lot of sewing done, but other times, I just trim blocks and cut fabric. Maybe save all the dog ears for a time when you want to do something fabric related but not wanting to get the sewing machine and iron out?

Comment

What a great attitude

I've made several baby blankets to "stretch" myself - it let's me try a new thing without a huge investment of time / fabric. I've made a tumbler quilt and two hst quilts with (relative) success. I also learned what I DON'T like, lol (dense echo quilting, not my fave).

Comment

Working...
                      X