2layer cakes, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2layer cakes, any ideas?

I have 2 nice Robert Kaufman Artisan Batiks layer cakes that I want to use to make a gift for a friend. The colours range from lights to darks, but tend towards blues and purples. I want a more modern look, but want to keep it on the simple side to save time and also because I'm not an advanced quilter, so I was thinking of simple HST, there are lots of variations I can do with them. I would love ideas, any and all. I do love big stars, but they come off more traditional. I've still got a few weeks to decide, but my friend is moving away and I want to get it done in time. Thanks everyone. 😊👍

Re: 2layer cakes, any ideas?

If you cut the layer cakes into 5" squares, then add 5" square plain white, you could make a chevron with HST. Or D9P, an easy one -- you might want to make two samples first to help you decide if you want to do it with 5" or 10" squares. Samples made with scrap fabric of course! Don't want to waste any of the good stuff on a sample block.

Comment

You could also do the Double Slice pattern .

It is very scrappy and a quick sew. I have done one, but not finding a pick of it at the moment.
      Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

This chevron is a combination of batiks and regular prints. It's one of my favorites! I made it from 10" squares. The back is one of my favorites also.

20151130_053711_resized_1.jpg
        20151130_053818_resized_1.jpg

Comment

Color Weave Quilt « Moda Bake Shop
          Preeti
          http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

What about an Alter Ego quilt. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XW1I...em-uploademail
            Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
            sigpic

Comment

I did the friendship star sashing (March 11,2016) and it went rather quickly with minimal difficulty.

Comment

Oh, I think the Color Weave that Preeti suggested has a nice modern feel to it.
                Debbie

Comment

Oooohhhhh I like this, i think I will use this pattern for one of my layer cakes.

Comment

Thank you all for the wonderful ideas. I am thinking of the Alter Ego pattern since it fits better with my fabric, but haven't decided yet. They were all so pretty patterns that it's hard to pick!

Comment

Working...
                    X