Can you help me piece a back?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you help me piece a back?

My math skills suck and sometimes trying to figure out things for a quilt really stresses me out!!!

I have a top that is 62" x 62". I bought 2 yards of a main print for the background, and 1 yard each of 2 other coordinating fabrics. I'd like to do a pieced back, but how can I do it so it looks pretty, even, and neat? I figure I need to add 17" to the width (or the length if I turn the yardage sideways).

I was thinking strips, but like I said I can't wrap my brain around dimensions to make it look "right".

Thanks so much!
    ~barb

Re: Can you help me piece a back?

Barb, pieced backs are awesome!! Don't be so intimidated by it! Let me check on some options and I'll get back with you! (aka: let me ask Mom and Natalie for their 'math' brains)

Comment

Originally posted by sewhot View Post
      Barb, pieced backs are awesome!! Don't be so intimidated by it! Let me check on some options and I'll get back with you! (aka: let me ask Mom and Natalie for their 'math' brains)
      Thanks! I love the look of the them, so I'm excited! But because it's an "odd" shape I'm clueless!
      ~barb

Comment

What does the front look like? What's your quilt pattern? Sometimes this will help you come up with something that will complement it.

Comment

Okay, keep in mind that you will need about 4 inches extra on each side of your backing for machine or hand quilting, so you really need a piece ~70 x 70. This is just one idea, you could do lots of things, but this one is easy. Cut the selvedges off all your yardage first. Your 2 yd piece can go down the middle of the back. Take your 1 yard pieces and cut them in half lengthwise so you will end up with 2 pieces 36" long by ~22" wide. Sew your two 36" x 22" pieces together to make one long ~72" x 22" piece. Here, you can combine your two 1 yd. fabrics or make your piece from just one of your yards. Do the same to the second yard piece. Now, sew these to either side of your long piece. You will have some extra to trim off the sides but this will certainly give you plenty of extra for quilting. This is not very creative, I know, but it does the job. Let me know if there are questions with what I just wrote. It seems clear to me but I know what I mean, right? Good luck with your backing. A
          Last edited by AnnaK; February 18, 2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

I'm bringing up an old post....

I brought my top and the fabric I bought to a quilter friend and said "help", she suggested that I make the back like another top, so the quilt is reversible. So, I'm making a 3x3 9-patch with a 2 inch border for the back.
            ~barb

Comment

I am such a big dork, and I don't know why the folks at the fabric store didn't catch it when I brought in the top and bought the fabric. The quilt is only 39 1/4 x 39 1/4!!! Oh well. At the point I may add another border or 3 to the top and the back so that it will be a lap size quilt instead of a wall hanging. It's going to be reversible when it's all done.
              ~barb

Comment

Wow how did you get from 39 1/4" to 62" Your quilt sounds like it's coming together fun though! Reversible sounds like a cute idea, what colors is it?
                To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

Originally posted by stitchywoman View Post
                  Wow how did you get from 39 1/4" to 62" Your quilt sounds like it's coming together fun though! Reversible sounds like a cute idea, what colors is it?
                  The top is white and red Christmas prints with a green border, the back is black and green Christmas prints with a red border, and the binding will be black.

ETA: I forgot I had a picture of it's sibling in my files. The top looks like this one, but it's 3x3.

Last edited by myholidayboyz; April 24, 2010, 03:21 PM. Reason: adding picture
                  ~barb

Comment

Working...
                  X