1950 top with 2016 backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1950 top with 2016 backing

I am hand quilting a 1950s old quilt top using a basic white muslin for backing.

What should I use for the binding? New print or white muslin?

Either way since I have added the "new" fabric for the backing the antique value will no longer be in place.

quilt round the world.jpg

Re: 1950 top with 2016 backing

That is very pretty!

Comment

I like that quilt. I would probably go with a white or cream (I can't tell from my computer the light color -white or cream) that matches the front.

Comment

There are a lot of reproduction fabrics available these days, so if you have local quilt shop that stocks that style you might want to find some binding fabric in a complementary print/color. For example if you can find something like the bold gold/yellow shade, that might be a nice frame.
        Slainte!

Liz

:icon_pcnoob:

Comment

Thank you. I'm almost 3/4 done with the quilting...

Comment

Yes I was thinking of maybe one one of the darker prints? I will begin my search.

Comment

Thank you.. So many options with so many colors.

Comment

It's beautiful. I'd take it to your LQS, the ladies at mine have always been so helpful with picking the perfect complement.
                Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                ― Maya Angelou

Comment

I'm liking maybe a dark purple or violet for the binding. This is a beautiful quilt top. How did you come upon it?
                  A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

She is beautiful! I would use muslin for the binding.

Comment

My sister in law told me she had some old fabric in an old dresser that I could have. When we looked through the fabric I discovered 8 old quilt tops from HER grandmother. Half of them are stained and some have mouse holes. I have restored and hand quilted one already and will give it to my sister-in-law for her granddaughter. (The great-great granddaughter of the original quilt top.) I'm excited to give it to her this summer. The round-the-world quilt that I'm working on I plan to keep and display. Still have 6 more......

Comment

Sounds like everyone has an opinion from bringing out the colors in the quilt to making the binding disappear. Your quilt, your rules. Whatever you decide, itwill be a beautiful creation. So good of you to finish someones UFO

Comment

What a treasure you found and 8 of them, oboy! It is just such a beautiful quilt with those colors, I love it, it is very comforting looking, you just want to hug it. I specialize in hand quilting, it is so relaxing, hope you so a pic when you are finished.

Comment

That's a beautiful quilt. I have a related question.
                            I have an older quilt that I received as a gift many years ago. The front was folded to the back and hand sewn for the binding. In a few areas the turned part is breaking down with small tears. What's the best way to deal with this? If I put a binding on, I'll loose my edge and would probably not get a good matching fabric. If I oversew / topstitch near the edge it should keep the fabric from tearing further and would look ok; but I don't know if that would be a durable fix.

Thanks for any help

Comment

What a beautiful quilt. I think I would pop the binding with the gold color.

Comment

Working...
                              X