Warm & Natural Cotton Batting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warm & Natural Cotton Batting

I just purchased this for the first time and LOVE how it feels. This is the Warm & Natural Needled Cotton Batting. It says on the back in bold letters that pre washing is not necessary, but it does go on to say that there will be a 3% shrinkage with the first wash. Wouldn't the quilt suffer if I did not pre wash it and then it shrank 3% after I have my quilt all together and washed it for the first time? Has anyone used this and how did you do it? I appreciate the advice. (It does give pre washing instructions. It needs to be hand washed, not spun in a washer, soaked for 20 minutes, squeezed, not wrung, and dried in a warm dryer or lay flat to air dry).

Re: Warm & Natural Cotton Batting

I think I found the answer on The Warm Company's web site. Here is what it says - so I believe I will prewash it.

"You don't need to pre-wash Warm & Natural before using it. However, the batting will shrink approximately 3% the first time it is washed. You will need to pre-wash Warm & Natural if you wish to pre-shrink it. Otherwise your quilt will have a slight "pucker" look that nicely shows off your quilting once it is washed. For more information about care instructions see Warm & Natural page located under products tab."

Comment

I use it all the time. I do not pre-wash it. When you are done quilting and wash your quilt, it will have that great wrinkling from the small amount of shrinkage.
      Debbie

Comment

I LOVE THE WRINKLING!!!

Comment

Personally I like the look of the quilt after it has its 3% shrinkage. I use both Hobbs 80/20 and Warm and Natural batting and both have some shrinkage. I always wash every quilt I give before gifting it so I can be sure it is washed with color catchers. That little bit of shrinkage gives it a nice look I think. Consequently I never prewash my batting.

Comment

I use it all the time but I don't pre-wash. I prefer the softer, puckery look after it has been washed. And if your FMQ isn't everything you desire that shrinkage hides alot. I think it's another one of those personal preference things and the look you like.

Comment

This is what I use also, and I had used it not pre washed and also with a pre wash. The time I decided to prewash was when I really didn't want any shrinkage- washed by hand in hot water , dried laying flat. It changes the texture a bit also, it wasn't as light and fluffy as the original. I like both ways but prefer not to prewash it.

Comment

I have used W&N many many times and never pre washed it. In fact I have never pre washed any batting. I just usually fluff it out dry in the dryer for a few minutes to get the folds or wrinkles out before basting.

Comment

I use warm and natural for all my quilts and I also do not pre wash. I like the soft look after the quilt is washed.

Comment

I just found out they have a factory about forty miles from my house and they give tours and then you get free samples!!! I'm in the midst of planning a field trip!
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I use Warm and Natural a lot, and I don't prewash. I rarely prewash my fabric, either.
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Same here. I use W&N and my dryer is my batting's best friend.

Comment

I buy W&N at Hancock's when it is 40% off and like today they have a phone coupon for an additional 20% off so I will go and buy an entire roll. It is rolled on a round bolt so it doesn't wrinkle. I do my own FMQ and the wrinkling is my friend. It makes my quilts have that antique look that I love. I have 5 quilt tops waiting to be quilted so it is time to buy another roll. I also buy my backing at Hancocks. I cannot see spending $50 or $60 for backing for a large quilt when I can get it for less than half that with a coupon. Sometimes I buy the wide backing if I can find one that I like but if not I buy from their Absolute cottons. I do have a limited budget and I buy what I can afford and do not apologize for it. A quilt snob I am not. I have some of my grandmother's quilts that are over 100 years old that were heavily used before I got them and they have held up great. She made her quilts from whatever she could find and if she bought new fabric it came from Ben Franklins or Perry Brothers. Buy what you can afford and enjoy quilting is my motto.

Comment

I am in total agreement as these were purchases, and at the time thought batting was just batting, until that brand was not available and I was already miles from home on a mission for batting, so I bought a generic batting at JoAnns that said it was 80/20. Immediately when I took it out of the package I was disappointed. And then I went to iron it and had to turn my iron way down as I suspect the batting was more polyester than stated. I will not let myself down again. I will hold out!
                            Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

Comment

I sometimes pre-wash my batting by putting it in the bathtub and soak it for about 15 minutes. Than I let the water out of the bathtub while the batting is still in the tub. I step on the batting barefoot to squeeze out as much water as possible. Wrap in several thick towels and step on them to squeeze out more water. Than I throw it in the dryer along with the wet towels and dry it. Works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X