Why did this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did this happen?

I pinned, sprayed, stabilized each piece and yet it still didn't lay flat, the larger pieces bubbled. There is no way to fix this I can't take it apart. If I cross hatch or try to FMQ (which I am not good at yet) will they lay flat or make it look worse. Mahalo for your help
    Attached Files
    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Re: Why did this happen?

A FMQ stitch that does not cross over itself, like a stipple, will help it lie flat. A cross hatch, that crosses over itself, will make tucks and look worse.

Good luck.
    Stash Treasure Acquisitions Beyond Life Expectancy. My stash keeps me STABLE, oh yeah.... and dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by DeniseSm View Post
      A FMQ stitch that does not cross over itself, like a stipple, will help it lie flat. A cross hatch, that crosses over itself, will make tucks and look worse.

Good luck.
      Yes that makes sense, but not sure why it did this darn it
      sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Jenny told me the "SMALLER" the quilting, the more it lays down.

Like a small stippling will make for a flatter quilt than a large stippling. It's proven true for me a few times. The more you quilt it the flatter it will be. But, I did not see anything wrong with what you have. LOL.

Comment

I think it looks great. I would just sitd around the squares.
          sigpic

Lorie

Comment

It looks very nice, and I am sure your grandson is going to love it. Did you iron some light weight stabilizer behind each piece? I think that would help with the bubbling.
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia H View Post
              It looks very nice, and I am sure your grandson is going to love it. Did you iron some light weight stabilizer behind each piece? I think that would help with the bubbling.
              Yes I stabilized each piece separately with a lightweight stabilizer
              sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

You DID stabilize this BEFORE you sewed the squares together, right? Did you use the same stabilizer for the entire project?
                Barbara
                http://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftySweetPeas

Comment

It looks great. Don't worry.

Comment

Originally posted by AlohaSandy View Post
                    Yes I stabilized each piece separately with a lightweight stabilizer
                    Originally posted by CraftySweetPeas View Post
                    You DID stabilize this BEFORE you sewed the squares together, right? Did you use the same stabilizer for the entire project?
                    Yes I did before and yes I used the same stabilizer
                    sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

My grandmother's quilts were made with clothing. Usually they were made with smaller cuts of fabric. Her larger pieces were loose before basting, but after basting the quilt tightened up a bit. Have confidence, as the quilt looks great. It will look even better when finished and used. Washing and drying will help bring it in a bit, but not substantially.

Comment

Are all your seams the same 1/4 inch?. Did any pull back as you were sewing. I would press it one more with a sizing spray. And then stiple it. It will be fine. I can not tell you what went wrong since it appears you did what you needed to.
                        sigpic my goal is to be as good a person as my dogs already think I am

Comment

I think just free motion it don't cross over , I just watched a Angela W. Video we are our own worst critics, and tend to point out our mistakes stop once you quilt it wash it it will be fine, he will love it ,remember even though you stablelized it is a knit could have happened in the ironing. I think it looks great. Finished is better than not the purpose of your quilt is to bring your son happiness. OK there's my rant and thoughts

Comment

You know, I am not a great quilt maker by any stretch of the imagination. However, I know what I like, your quilt is lovely, I can see where it did not lie smoothly but I think its adorable. Good Luck figuring out your problem. Love your quilt no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by ediane View Post
                              Are all your seams the same 1/4 inch?. Did any pull back as you were sewing. I would press it one more with a sizing spray. And then stiple it. It will be fine. I can not tell you what went wrong since it appears you did what you needed to.
                              Yes all my seams are 1/4 kinda picky about that especially on my quilts, and I really don't know if any pulled back that's a good question.
                              sigpicHawaiigrammi

Comment

Working...
                              X