Labeling your quilt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labeling your quilt?

How does everyone label their quilts? I bought a label for the first one, but it was a stiff canvas material, real big and I hated it. I don't have an embroidery machine so that won't work. I did see some quilts on one site where they just signed right on the fabric with a permanent maker. Not sure about that....so what do you use?
    patti
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Re: Labeling your quilt?

Hi Patti,

I've tried several ways of making labels. Often I print the label on fabric with the printer and then make a "frame" around it with one of the fabrics in the quilt. I've also printed the label on paper and traced it with a fabric marking pen on fabric. I've also done some paper pieced frames and really like those. I do think it is important to label quilts.

Marjorie

Comment

I like the "frame" idea around a nice piece of muslin. I use a Pigma Micron pen by Sakura to write on the fabric. It is archival and is pretty waterproof. The come in a large variety of sizes and colors. A quick swipe with theiron and they are heat set.
      I have also used a rubber stamp and fabric inks to frame the quilt label.
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I like to add a label that is handstitched on. I don't like the idea of writing right on the quilt. I usually make a square or rectangle piece of solid fabric that matches the quilt and use that as my label. My machine sews letters so that is how I usually do it. You could hand write it in permanent marker though. I really like the look of them, I just don't like my writing.

Check out this blog: http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...bel-quilt.html
        My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

I make a label using my computer printer and "computer fabric". I usually make four labels at a time, and have them ready to go. I sometimes hold up on labeling my quilts til I have enough projects completed, so I don't waste my computer fabric. The label is usually only about 2 inches or so , by 3 inches or so. When I make the label, I use a clip art program, which happens to have a quilt on it; insert the text box in the center of the "quilt" and then type my info. I also like to put what I named my quilt, when I made it, and where I live (as in my case, we've moved around quite a bit) and the month and year completed. I'm currently working on a family tree quilt, and the label on the back is quite a bit larger, as it will have the names of myfamily, and also birthdates & place, and death dates and place, in addition to the earlier mentioned info.

Comment

I am going to make a label with my sewing machine useing the letters...I hope it turns out ok.!! It will be my first one..Im sure I will go through lots of thread before I get it right...lol

Comment

Thank you all for the information. I like the idea of using the muslin and a frame. I really would like to have a label that is kind of my special design so I think I will work on a combination of all the ideas.
              Thank you again for your help!
              patti
              Patti
              "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

where does someone (like me) find "computer fabric" for making the labels????
                Two of my favorite things, to encourage and to be encouraged
                hugs, Suzi
                http://suzi.mypremierdesigns.com/
                it's what i do when i'm not here sewing with you

GOD Bless America

Comment

I got some computer friendly fabric at Joann's by the quilting tools and used it on a couple quilts so far but I like the look of a homemade label better. It just makes me warm and fuzzy to think it is one of a kind, as is the quilt.
                  Recently I got a new sewing machine, not an embroidery one, but it does have more stitches on it. I recently made a quickie baby quilt with a baseball theme so I bought some white fabric and cut a large circle, stitched it to resemble baseball seams and I bought some pigment markers and plan to write with baby info, etc when the baby is born. I think it will look real cute once I hand stitch it on.
                  Thanks for everyone's comments. I just love the sharing community!
                  Patti
                  Patti

Comment

Originally posted by FunkiQuilter View Post
                    OOOHHH a new blog to follow!!

Comment

I usually embroidery my projects , with fancy decoration,what ever tickles my fancy GGG.I have in the past done printing a label and wrote on it with a permanent ink pen.
                      Quilting is good therapy.

Comment

Thanks for info on the blog Hillbilly!! Never thought of using the freezer paper. :-)
                        Patti

Comment

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
                          Thanks for info on the blog Hillbilly!! Never thought of using the freezer paper. :-)
                          Well, thanks, but actually it was funkiquilter...so I'll pass the thanks on

Comment

Working...
                          X