How did this happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did this happen?

So I finished piecing the quilt from he**... It has 1,575 2.5" squares. Ugh. I used Quilt Smart (2.5" grid iron-on interfacing) and had no problems putting the pieces together (I had to use 14 grids). Fast forward to borders... I measure edge, middle, edge. The top and middle are the same, but the bottom was almost 3" off! How?? I didn't have issues getting the rows lined up top to bottom... AND when I fold the bottom up to the top, the seams of the squares pretty much match. By pretty much, I mean that if one seam is a hair off, the next one lines right back up - all the way across the quilt. So how is it that I have such a big difference in measuring? I thought maybe it was fat-finger in measuring, so I just cut the border to the measurement of the 2 that matched. Nope. I had a chunk left over! I ripped it and then put the border on the feed dogs and gave the top some not-so-gentle encouraging and got it within about 1/2", but still... AND all my measurements for the side borders came out fine.

What the heck??

Here's a pre-border photo for reference...
    Attached Files
    Kathe

sigpic Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Re: How did this happen?

umm, I don't see a thing except it needs to be ironed. It's very cool and sewing that many pieces makes you a hero in my book. I would never attempt that!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

It got a good all-over pressing after the borders today. My son loves it, which is the only saving grace of this one. My hubby, who never says anything about my quilting process, kept saying "I don't think you like this pattern very much..."
      Kathe

sigpic Don't practice until you get it right, practice until you can't get it wrong

Comment

That is too cool!
        "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
        Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

It looks like it came out great. I know someone who would love this. We are our own worst critic. You did a great job!
          Hugs,
          Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
          Happiness = fabric!:icon_woohoo:

Comment

It looks awesome! And your son loves it.

I did something similar a few years ago after watching Eleanor Burns do a cross hatch pattern. I used 1" grid fusible. Never again! It started out bigger than my six foot dining table and ended up a decent size wall hanging. The seams were really thick and it was a pain getting them to lay flat. Also, my machine got gunky from sewing through so much fusible. Never again. I get a lot of complements on it and have been asked if I would make another one - never again! But it was a learning experience - never again!
            Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
              It looks awesome! And your son loves it.

I did something similar a few years ago after watching Eleanor Burns do a cross hatch pattern. I used 1" grid fusible. Never again! It started out bigger than my six foot dining table and ended up a decent size wall hanging. The seams were really thick and it was a pain getting them to lay flat. Also, my machine got gunky from sewing through so much fusible. Never again. I get a lot of complements on it and have been asked if I would make another one - never again! But it was a learning experience - never again!
              I meant to say Cross Stitch pattern not Cross Hatch! LOL Hadn't had my first cup of tea yet!
              Vonnie

Comment

That turned out great and now you can add that pattern to your "Never Again List".
                sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Awesome! And a lot of work. Great job.
                  Beth

Procrastinate. It frees up time to quilt!

Comment

Kathe. You do not make easy quilts, do you?
                    Your son loves it - nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by songbird857 View Post
                      Kathe. You do not make easy quilts, do you?
                      Your son loves it - nuff said.
                      Apparently not this year!! This is definitely a "never again." Next up is another tuffet, then I'm doing a 4-patch or something
                      Kathe

Comment

It is a nice quilt; fusible grid doesn't usually stretch, so if there is a difference in width from top to bottom, it must be the seam allowances. I wonder if you used the same foot or machine throughout the whole quilt top? I know you can "fudge" seams to match up, but the actual fabric piece is still the same size so when laid out flat you could easily get the 3" difference when there is that many seams. Sounds like you found a good "fix" for it anyway. I've only made one wall hanging with the fusible grid and didn't really enjoy it, clipping all those seam intersections after as well.

Comment

Well yes I can sure see what a pain in the ass that must have been to put together but the end result is just amazing!! What a cool quilt it is. Congratulations on finishing it! and that you were able to border it in spite of the difference in measurements. Sometimes you just never know if it is just one thing that makes your measurements be off or if it is a combination of things. Nice job though and you should be very proud.

Comment

Wow, great job! And, didn't you just finish a Star Wars one too?! These are a lot of work - I only did a watercolor pillow. They do turn out neat and oh, what a feeling of accomplishment!
                            I am Sew Blessed!
                            Alina

Comment

That's cool! But I have to ask-are you insane woman??? 1575 tiny squares?? Wow-I am impressed. My squirrel brain just can't compute that.

Way to go!

Comment

Working...
                              X