old "granny quilt"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

old "granny quilt"

Ok so im pretty new to quilting, but my grandmother has already put me on a mission to do something with her grandmothers (so my great great grandmother) unfinished quilt tops. here is what I have: it is a bunch of scraps cut into squares and sewn together, mostly by hand into big chunks. the main thing that jumps out at me is that it is really really old thread that has sewn it together and the material is not the cotton quilting material that we can get now, its polyester of many different textures and weaves ... since it is a scrap quilt. anyways after looking at it today with my mom what i thought i could do was just go over all of the seams with new thread to secure them and then once i get the quilt sandwich done just stitch in the ditch for the quilting since the fabric is not cotton and there are SOOOOO many different colors i wouldn't really know where to begin on making any other quilting pattern. I then figured for decoration i could put some ties in some of the squares like that type of quilt would have had.
    there are also a couple of different tops that are't done and are random shapes and my mom was wondering if it would be possible to break them down into smaller pieces ... i figured i could just use a seam ripper, but again i wanted to make sure that i didn't ruin any of the fabric since it is so old ... any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will try to get a picture of a couple of the pieces soon and put them up, but i haven't had a chance to get a picture taken yet ... anyways i'm looking forward to hearing all the opinions of the more experienced folks out there have a great day all!

Maggie

Re: old "granny quilt"

I think you are going with a good plan. Go over the stitches to secure them...then tie the quilt. Those older scrap quilts like that were usually tied anyway..so it's keeping with the style.

What a wonderful gift though.....a tangible piece of your family history!!!
    Michele

Comment

Great idea, and what a treasure to have such an heirloom of your ancestor! You might make a "crazy quilt", and embellish the edges with various stitches. I would definitely secure the hand stitched pieces. But what a wonderful treasure you have!

Comment

Please send pictures of the quilt before and after !!! I would love to see the blocks before and after !!!

Comment

I attached a picture below of one of the quilt tops (before) ... they are all the same type so pics of all of them would be redundant ... once i get working on them (soon I hope ) i'll get pictures of my progress and the finished project thanks for the input so far everyone!
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X