self binding blanket, can you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

self binding blanket, can you?

I have made several self binding blankets with two panels of flannel. I am curious to know if anyone has made one using cotton fabric with batting? I just can't figure out how to do it for sure and would appreciate some suggestions. Also if anyone has made one using two panels of cuddle type cloth. I am trying this as well and giving frustration a new name. Local JoAnns had no suggestions on the last idea. Well off to the sale at JoAnns. Thanks Sheriet

Re: self binding blanket, can you?

I thought about that before too. I can only think to sew the batting to the back side of the front then continue. But it would leave the binding with out it. Or turn it inside out and struggle to get the batting in like a duvet cover and quilt it.
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

are you doing the ones where you bring the backing towrds the front for the binding effect? If so - that may be hard to create with battting. I have made several blankets w/o binding that had batting that I turned inside out and stitched about a quarter of the way around the edge to give the look of binding and then quilted the rest of it. here's a tutorial on the cuddle ones though.
      Cuddle Baby Self-binding Receiving Blanket

I just realized you wanted info on using 2 types of cuddle and this one uses one. sorry
      Last edited by sleepydiver; November 24, 2015, 05:03 PM. Reason: inability to read! lol
      If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Comment

I wonder if you can glue baste the batting before you sew it? Can you cut it the size you want and then spray baste or glue baste?

Comment

What about using fusible batting on the bottom layer? It would be easy to turn. I would cut the batting to be exactly the size of the finished blanket. You would fuse that to the center of the bottom lAyer.

Comment

Now I want to try this. I'm alway's up for an experiment. Maybe a doll quilt first.
            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
              Now I want to try this. I'm alway's up for an experiment. Maybe a doll quilt first.
              Make a Barbie doll size blankie. Lol. Great idea.

Comment

I made the blanket, turned rightside out, measured blanket, cut batting and slipped inside the opening. Then stitched one inch from edge to hold batting, then quilted the rest of blanket as wanted. It was'nt that difficult. You do want to leave about a 6 inch opening.

Comment

What if you just doubled all the fabric? I.e., if you cut two of each of the two pieces; sewed them together, each with its pair; and then proceeded as usual? Or you could even sew together one piece of cotton and one piece of flannel for each piece?

Comment

Originally posted by sidesaddles View Post
                    I made the blanket, turned rightside out, measured blanket, cut batting and slipped inside the opening. Then stitched one inch from edge to hold batting, then quilted the rest of blanket as wanted. It was'nt that difficult. You do want to leave about a 6 inch opening.
                    This makes perfect sense, thanks! I am almost ready to make this blanket. I might have figured it out but I am glad to have your suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                    X