• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gshalom
    Rotary Pro
    • Mar 2014

Quilting with invisible thread

Going to start a Christmas wall hanging using invisible thread in the needle and king tut in the bobbin. This is my first time using invisible thread. I'm quilting on a janome 8900 which has auto tension. i plan on using a topstitch 90/14 superior titanium needle. I will be both outlining figures in a panel and SITD for geometric patterns in the border. I had posted earlier about recommendations on how to quilt it and now that i've decided how and with what, I am looking for any experiences or recommendations with the combination invisible/40 wt. The batting is Warm and Natural cotton, the backing is the cotton fabric that is the same as part of the border. Thanks for looking.
  • Carlie Wolf
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2013

Re: Quilting with invisible thread

I don't know but I'm curious too
    https://forum.missouriquiltco.com/co.../icon_wave.gif
    Women are Angels. When someone break's our wings we will continue to fly-usually on a broomstick.We're flexible like that.

Comment

• Jean Sewing Machine
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2012

At a workshop I attended last weekend, some asked about invisible thread. The recommendation was that polyester thread works much better than nylon thread. I have no personal experience with it other than when it first came out decades ago and it was a nightmare to use.

Comment

• MaryB
        The Guild President
        • Apr 2011

I use invisible thread a lot and am really pleased with the result BUT would highly recommend that it be a very good brand. I use YLI.

Comment

• jjkaiser
          Missouri Star
          • Oct 2013

Well I hope you aren't offended by my answer. I am a hand quilter. My MIL was machine quilter, and let me tell you she was one talented lady. She even had her own quilt shop for about 10 years. She died about 5 years ago. She made so many quilts for us and other family members and she ALWAYS used invisible thread. I assumed bc it matched everything? I never asked. Anyway when I look at her quilts now (used daily) I always kind if sigh and wish she had NOT used invisible thread, but white or colored, to show off her stitching. So I guess I am saying I just do not understand the purpose if invisible thread.
          Jocelyn
          South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• janbee
            Designer Diva
            • Mar 2014

Originally posted by gshalom View Post
            Going to start a Christmas wall hanging using invisible thread in the needle and king tut in the bobbin. This is my first time using invisible thread. I'm quilting on a janome 8900 which has auto tension. i plan on using a topstitch 90/14 superior titanium needle. I will be both outlining figures in a panel and SITD for geometric patterns in the border. I had posted earlier about recommendations on how to quilt it and now that i've decided how and with what, I am looking for any experiences or recommendations with the combination invisible/40 wt. The batting is Warm and Natural cotton, the backing is the cotton fabric that is the same as part of the border. Thanks for looking.
            I would consider using a 60 wt. bobbin thread instead of the King Tut. I love King Tut but because the invisible thread is so light weight I feel like the bobbin thread would be a better choice. I love Superior Threads Bottomline thread. It is the only thread I use on the bobbin when FMQ, appliquing, and when doing machine embroidery. It comes in a variety of colors but I find that the cream has worked for me for every project. Because it is so light weight, it really does blend into the quilt backing and barely shows at all no matter what color the backing fabric. Another advantage is that your bobbin will hold lots more thread with Bottomline thread because it is lighter and more thread will fit on your bobbin. Tension can be an issue when using invisible thread and a lighter thread in the bobbin will help tension problems. Definitely, make a test quilt sandwich to test out the thread, needle, and tension. Good luck with your project. I have a quilt that I am FMQ right now that I wish I had used invisible thread on. A quilt shop owner talked me into using Aurifil variegated thread and I don't like it at all. Guess I am just not a fan of variegated thread.

Comment

• Vonnie
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2013

Wow - lots of good suggestions on invisible thread! Wish this forum was here when I struggled with a t-shirt quilt a few years ago. I started using the nylon thread and it was a nightmare! Did okay in the flannel sashing but started breaking about every inch to inch and a half in the t-shirt block. Then someone suggested switching to Sulky polyester thread and no more breakage. Have only heard about YLI this past year. But have heard good things about it. The finer thread in the bobbin makes sense. Did not know about finer bobbin thread back then when I was making the t-shirt quilt. I learn so much from reading this forum.
              Vonnie

Comment

• easyquilts
                Missouri Star
                • Dec 2012

Best of luck to you! I love the idea of invisible thread....love the look it gives....but can't use it... My eyes just can't do it...

I wish I could be of more help....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

• ceiliam
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jul 2014

I agree with bottom line and I have struggled with every invisible thread I have ever used. Then tried superior it was great. One thing it is really hard to thread as is hard to see, suggestions use a marker onbthe end or needle threader

Comment

• Sylvia H
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2014

The Superior Thread web site recommends using a #60/8 needle with their polyester invisible thread. If you don't have this thread, look at the spool you have and see if it has a needle recommendation. (This is one of the things I like about Superior Threads, they put needle recommendations on their spools of thread.)

MonoPoly Thread, MonoPoly Polyester Thread - Superior Threads

Superior also recommends using Bottom Line in the bobbin, but in this article, they recommend #70/10 needle!: http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...oly-questions/
                    Last edited by Sylvia H; November 22, 2015, 07:52 AM.
                    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• gshalom
                      Rotary Pro
                      • Mar 2014

it's YLI invisible thread but there's no needle recommendation on the cone......it was recommended by my machine dealer, probably because they sell it.....but they also sell Isacord, Superior, Aurifil and C&C so I think it may have been the recommendation of the lady that I was speaking with. I may have to get some needles.......i have a lot of topstitch 90/14 since i bought them from superior when they were on sale.....

Comment

• Sylvia H
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2014

Originally posted by gshalom View Post
                        it's YLI invisible thread but there's no needle recommendation on the cone......it was recommended by my machine dealer, probably because they sell it.....but they also sell Isacord, Superior, Aurifil and C&C so I think it may have been the recommendation of the lady that I was speaking with. I may have to get some needles.......i have a lot of topstitch 90/14 since i bought them from superior when they were on sale.....
                        I think a #70/10 needle will be just fine, and it works well with other thinner threads as well.
                        If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Angela J
                          Missouri Star
                          • Feb 2015

I just completed using invisible thread ( I think it is Gutterman?) Not sure of spelling because it is upstairs and I am downstairs. Was making a Japanese panel for my daughter and outline stitched quite a bit of the panel with this thread. It did not break and I used the regular 90/14 needle I already had on the machine. First time using it. She took it home today while I was napping (worked last night) and I did not get the picture taken. Will have her take one and send it to me. She really liked it. She loves all things Japanese and went there for three weeks two years ago alone. Brave soul.

Comment

• Annav
                            Designer Diva
                            • Mar 2013

Another suggestion is to make sure your thread comes off the spool in a horizontal position. You can purchase an adapter that fits over your bobbin wonder. It makes a huge difference and cuts down on the crying from your needles snapping every three inches.
                            My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate!

Comment

• Angela J
                              Missouri Star
                              • Feb 2015

Japaneese Wall Hanging.jpg

This is the panel I was talking about earlier that I used invisible thread on with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X