Binding Question: What would You Do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Binding Question: What would You Do?

I am ready to put the binding on a twin size quilt for my 4 1/2 y.o. grandson. Would machine binding make it more durable, or should I hand bind? Thanks

Re: Binding Question: What would You Do?

I would attach by machine to the front and hand stitch to the back. I think at least one side should be machine stitched to hold up to frequent washings.

Comment

I sew all my bindings by machine. For donation quilts, I sew the binding to the back then bring it to the front and stitch it down. For gift quilts, I sew the binding to the front of the quilt, bring it to the back so it's covering the stitching line and pin it in place. I then stitch in the ditch on the front of the quilt catching the binding on the back with the machine stitching.
      *~* Myrna *~*
      *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

I think machine binding is stronger. I machine bind to the front and hand sew to the back even for playmats and kids quilts because I am a good seamstress. For my hand sewing I use short thread and backstitch often. It takes me forever but looks so much better than if I had done it all by machine. I wish I could do like MRoy.
        "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
        Hillary Clinton

Comment

I always hand stitch my bindings... even the ones for kids and babied... Never had a problem...

I like the look of a hand stitched binding, and to tell you the truth, I'm really bad at machune stutchung bindings. Seriously bad...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

I'm not good at machine binding either, Sandy. I sew mine to the front by machine and hand hem it to the back. I've never had any part of my hand sewn binding come out.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I used to hand bind everything but it takes me forever and I procrastinate it b/c it's so time consuming. Now I just machine it, wham Bam, Binded Ma'am. I still hand bind occasionally, I made a special Q for my daughter, and I'm working on one for my master bedroom.

Comment

I sew all my bindings on the machine too.
                "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Originally posted by Marta View Post
                  I think machine binding is stronger. I machine bind to the front and hand sew to the back even for playmats and kids quilts because I am a good seamstress. For my hand sewing I use short thread and backstitch often. It takes me forever but looks so much better than if I had done it all by machine. I wish I could do like MRoy.
                  That should read" I am Not a good seamstress"
                  "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
                  Hillary Clinton

Comment

I'm with the 'not good at machine binding' team and machine to the front, hand stitch the back too.

Comment

I attach the binding to the front by machine, and I hand stitch it to the back. i've tried several times with several methods to do both sides by machine, but I can't get it to look right. The one time that it looked decent was when I used a flange binding attached to the back first, and then stitched on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Splinter View Post
                        The one time that it looked decent was when I used a flange binding attached to the back first, and then stitched on the front.
                        I like this way too. It hides everything.
                        🌺 Lorie

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. They are all very helpful. It's interesting to hear what works best for you & why. I think I'll machine stitch to the front, & hand stitch to the back. It doesn't sound like anyone who does it that way has had a problem with it not holding up. Once again I appreciate all of your input. I will try to post a pic when finished. I still have some others to get posted. I have not figured out how to do that quite yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DebbieDoodle View Post
                            Thanks for all the replies. They are all very helpful. It's interesting to hear what works best for you & why. I think I'll machine stitch to the front, & hand stitch to the back. It doesn't sound like anyone who does it that way has had a problem with it not holding up. Once again I appreciate all of your input. I will try to post a pic when finished. I still have some others to get posted. I have not figured out how to do that quite yet.
                            You'll get it

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/how...s-answers.html
                            🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                              Thanks Hulamoon! That is just what I need!

Comment

Working...
                              X