Does this sampler need borders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this sampler need borders?

Hi! I am requesting some suggestions from all of you wise fellows!

When I started quilting and before I found out about this forum, I started hand sewing random blocks (the traditional way, with paper templates and scissors). I was slowly collecting them in a pizza box. They were different sizes, according to the different patterns I found on line or in magazines. Some of them I assembled with narrow blue sashing strips, for a lap sized quilt.

I also used some of the fabrics for practice blocks. I now have 24 of them, and run out of most of the fabrics. I've decided that as finished is better than perfect, they deserve to be assembled. Due to their random sizes, I added some pieced sashing borders to the smaller ones and squared everything to 12", in spite of missing some points. I've now sewed together and the top center measures about 45" x 69".

Would you leave it as is, or add borders? There is only one fabric I have sufficient quantity left, a bold pink flower print.
    sampler top hanging.jpg

sampler top narrower borders adition.jpg

Re: Does this sampler need borders?

Love the border, the quilt is wonderful!!

Comment

I would definitely border it to go make it more useful as a lap quilt. The blocks are fabulous!

Comment

Thanks for your comments, ladies!

And would you put a thin blue border first, as shown, or only the broad pink floral?

(I need to make a decision before my OCD DH asks for a divorce, it is making him uneasy that I taped the top to his bookcases).

Comment

I don't feel the blue, but love your idea of storing your blocks in a pizza box, I buy cake boxes with the clear cellophane windows from the bakery at my Giant store to present my gift quilts. They're under $2.00.
          Last edited by RosieMS; November 10th, 2015, 06:08 AM.

Comment

I'm so glad you decided to finish these beautiful blocks. If it were me I would use the pink border but not the blue, but it's your quilt so do what you want! I can't wait to see this finished.
            Robin
            My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

Comment

This quilt is wonderful and i do LOVE the borders, both of them the blue and the solid rose for binding... you've chosen a great group of fabrics... why question now)) would not change a thing!!
              "Each day well-lived and Happy;
              that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

I'm going with both borders - like the break the blue provides and given that it is a color in some of the blocks I think it works well.

LOVE your project!!
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I like the blue and the pink, but it's really up to you! What does your heart tell you?
                  Katrina

“Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.”
                  ― Maya Angelou

Comment

Creo que un borde haria que todos los bloques resaltasen por igual, todos son preciosos y juntos quedan muy bonitos en cuanto al azul me parece que estaria muy bien pero ya sabes los ojos mas importantes son los tuyos, que tengas suerte con la decision y que veamos pronto la colcha terminada

Comment

Awesome quilt! What an undertaking that was. I definitely think the pink border with the blue inner one. It does bring out the blue in your blocks. Beautiful
                      A day patched with quilting Seldom unravels Sharon

Comment

I like it better with borders,

Comment

Monica, wouldn't change a thing with how you've got it framed. Run with it, looks awesome!
                          What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

I love the pink border, but would not use the thin blue...
                            Carol

Sewing Mends The Soul ~ Author Unknown

Comment

I guess I come at it from an embroidery sampler perspective...I like it without a border, as a wall hanging...very pretty, any way you choose!

Comment

Working...
                              X