Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to mark on quilt

Dear quilters,

I am starting the Cindy Lou Who quilt soon and there are stars quilted on this. I am sure some of you are so experienced that they can sew this with freemotion sewing on the quilt but i need help. Can i use a pen or marker that washes out to draw the stars? I need the lines on the quilt because i have parkinson's disease so sewing straight just from the hand is not an option

Your advise is as always tremendously welcome!

Best wishes from sunny and warm Ireland

Marijke

Re: how to mark on quilt

I hand quilt and use a water soluble pen to mark patterns all the time.

Comment

You may have to try several different kinds before you get one that works right for you. The one pen I have erases itself before I get it under the pressure foot. Not very helpful.

Comment

You must have the purple one. It isn't worth using. Try the blue one, or Crayola washable markers. I use both.

Comment

What is the pen that irons away?
          Lorie
          🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Frixion. But they don't always STAY away, so I won't use them.

Comment

Originally posted by shirleyknot View Post
              Frixion. But they don't always STAY away, so I won't use them.
              Thanks. I think I'll grab one on the next free shipping dd so I don't lose too much to test it out.
              Lorie
              🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                Thanks. I think I'll grab one on the next free shipping dd so I don't lose too much to test it out.
                They are available most anywhere, office supply, Wally world, probably at the local Rite Aid. They are made by Pilot and are not particularly for fabric. I have had good luck with them but I was my quilts after quilting, not sure I would use them if it was not going to be washed.

They have been discussed over and over again and people have had varied luck with them, experiment first before marking on an heirloom.

Comment

Only a Wallys on this island and not going to drive a 1/2 hr for a pen. lol

I'll pick one up one of these days.
                  Lorie
                  🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

I have Frixion pens (so far so good) but I do worry about them because people have had the returning lines issues. Been thinking of trying out Sewline chalk pencil just haven't bought one yet.

Comment

What Shirley said................they both work like a champ. Won't chance the Frixions. Both readily available at WalMart.
                      What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

I like the crayolas as well but when I am having to quilt over darker fabrics I generally use soap. Washes out? Of course, it's soap!
                        Sewing mends the soul.
                        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Well since it's free shipping today. Imagine that, lol. Which ones to get? I see two water blues. and about three chalks. The purple disapeared too fast for me too.
                          Lorie
                          🌺Kauai🌺

Comment

I've tried lots of marking pens, and now I'm back to a number 2 pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie View Post
                              I like the crayolas as well but when I am having to quilt over darker fabrics I generally use soap. Washes out? Of course, it's soap!

I like your idea...SOAP WASHES OFF FOR SURE....BETTER SAFE THANK SORRY
                              Priscilla Lujan
                              Los Angeles, CA:icon_cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X