What size for HST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What size for HST?

I want to try the shortcut for making 4 HST at once from one square by sewing around the edge of the two squares. But I don't know what size to cut my squares. My pattern told me to cut squares that are 2-1/2" square. I need to layer those and draw the diagnal line then stitch on each side of the line. I'm almost in hives knowing how small those little squares will be. Can somebody tell me what size I need to cut the big squares? Thank you in advance.

Re: What size for HST?

This is the chart I use, not a "sew around". Know this isn't the answer you're looking for, but it's precise.

HST Tutorial and Maths Formula | Blossom Heart Quilts

And don't let the 7/8's cuts scare you, they are very easy.............even though we're primed for 1/2 increment cuts.
    What do you mean I'm easily distracted..........HEY LOOK......FABRIC!!!!

Comment

There is a whole chart that MSQC did and it is somewhere on this forum and I believe Jenny did a tutorial where you make the windmill blocks and under the you tube video was a link to the aforementioned chart. I copied it and taped it to my cutting table. If you don't find it by searching this forum - I will figure out where it was when I get home and can look at the date of the post. Try searching the forum for HST and I bet it will come up. BTW that method works beautifully!!!

Comment

There is a post from July 15 2015 that includes the chart. I just put HST CHART in the search box and found it right away.

Comment

Jean posted it back in July 2015. Here it is:

A mathematically inclined forum member made this chart for us a while back.

Jenny's HST method calls for placing two squares right sides together, sewing 1/4" seam all around, and then cutting on both diagonals to yield 4 HSTs from 2 squares. I have done the math to determine the finished HST size you will get from this method, and am fairly confident I am right, utilizing the Pythagorean Theorem. Don't forget - you can trim down the HSTs to make the size you need (though that would be an extra step).
          2 squares = 4 HSTs
          2" Square = 1.06" HSTs
          2.5" Square = 1.41" HSTs
          3.0" Square = 1.77" HSTs
          3.5" Square = 2.12" HSTs
          4.0" Square = 2.47" HSTs
          4.5" Square = 2.83" HSTs
          5.0" Square = 3.18" HSTs
          5.5" Square = 3.54" HSTs
          6.0" Square = 3.89" HSTs
          6.5" Square = 4.24" HSTs
          7.0" Square = 4.60" HSTs
          7.5" Square = 4.95" HSTs
          8.0" Square = 5.30" HSTs
          8.5" Square = 5.66" HSTs
          9.0" Square = 6.01" HSTs
          9.5" Square = 6.36" HSTs
          10.0" Square = 6.72" HSTs
          10.5" Square = 7.07" HSTs
          11.0" Square = 7.42" HSTs
          11.5" Square = 7.78" HSTs
          12.0" Square = 8.13" HSTs
          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

What would be awesome is a chart for making 8 HST's at a time. Just drawing on the lines doesn't take that long and ending up with 8 instead of 4 HST's makes that added steps worthwhile to me. Also, you don't end up with bias on the edges. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saBKMqyw-0E
            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I found some instructions and a chart for the Magic 8 HSTs up to 6" finished:

To make a Magic 8, first determine what size finished half square triangles are desired. For example: To make 2" finished half square triangles, Add to the 2" measurement, 7/8". Your total is now 2-7/8" Multiply 2-7/8" by 2. That equals 5-3/4". (2) 5-3/4" fabric squares are the size needed to create (8) 2" finished half square triangles.
              ** improvement: cut the 2 fabric squares 1/4" larger. For the above example...Cut (2) 6" squares instead of 5-3/4". This will allow you to trim your half square triangles for more accuracy. For those very accurate quilters, this step may not be necessary.

Originally posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
              What would be awesome is a chart for making 8 HST's at a time. Just drawing on the lines doesn't take that long and ending up with 8 instead of 4 HST's makes that added steps worthwhile to me. Also, you don't end up with bias on the edges. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saBKMqyw-0E
              *~* Myrna *~*
              *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

Thank you all. Myrna I think I'm going to try this way. Thank you again all of you.

Comment

Working...
                X