Clipping threads on back of a quilt top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clipping threads on back of a quilt top

I was just curious about how nit-picky or finicky everyone is about clipping strings from frayed edges of fabric on the back of your quilt tops before you assemble the quilt. I cut and started piecing a quilt 4 or 5 years ago and then didn't touch it for years. A week or two ago I pulled it out and have now almost finished putting together the top (if all goes well the top will be done today). Since it had been sitting for so long I have a lot of strings on the back from the raw edges of the fabric fraying a bit while I had it stored for several years. I feel like I should trim them up at least somewhat but also don't want to be too nit-picky about it and spend hours trimming to then end up with more strings at the start of where I started to trim at.

This will be the second top I have ever completed and I am feeling so happy to be almost done with it and happy with how it is turning out but also intimidated at the prospect of assembling and quilting it as I haven't done much for true quilting (the first one I finished was a toddler nap quilt that I just stitched straight lines all the way across the quilt to attach the top, back and batting).

Re: Clipping threads on back of a quilt top

I don't really bother with clipping threads on the quilt back unless they are on/near the white background fabric, b/c they show through.
    congrats on getting it finished!!!

Comment

I'm a fanatic about thread clipping. When I sent out my first quilt to the LA, I was told to trim all the threads on the back. It makes for much smoother quilting if there aren't a bunch of loose threads on the back. Also, depending on the color of the fabrics, some threads might show through to the front, esp. with light colored fabrics. I carefully trim all my quilt tops.

Comment

I always take the time to trim the threads, especially if I have a lot of bright colors with white/or light fabric and they may show through. The last top I took for quilting took over an hour to clip. Some fabric lines ravel more than others.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I clip my threads as best I can. When finished, I look it over and lo and behold, there they are again. I say AMEN and quit. I have a very teeny hook which I use to pull the thread out from under the top, if I spy one while hand quilting. I don't know what the machine quilters say about them, because the girls I use never have said anything so I assume all is well. Good luck.

Comment

I clip my threads on the back as close as I can because, I had threads to show thru to the top after I had quilted it.
            Teresa
            Pelham, Alabama
            War Eagle!!!

Comment

As stated, some materials do fray more than others. I do a clean up of the back of the top, but if I find out that a particular fabric is still fraying, I end after the first clipping.
              If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Mostly I consider the threads to be part of the batting, unless they show through too badly.

Comment

I try to clip mine as best I can, and if the thread is a color that might show through, I take extra care when clipping. Don't want to go through all that and then have threads showing through.
                  Karen
                  Spring, TX

Comment

Tidying the back of my tops is by far the LEAST favourite part of quilting for me. That is the stage where the whole procedure comes to a grinding halt on my larger quilts when they're ready to go and get quilted. It also doesn't help at the moment as Yuki is moulting and there is always cat fur needing to be removed, too.

Comment

I don't clip mine at all.
                      Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I'm pretty picky about that, too. Like others said, especially near the lighter fabrics.
                        Donna

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                          I don't clip mine at all.
                          I know. After you wash them a few times, there's MORE loose threads. Who is going to take it apart and clip again?

Comment

If there is a part of quilting I dislike this is it. But I' just to CDO(see what I mean) not to do it. I would be a wreak if I thought a single thread showed. Oh well, the rest of the process makes up for it.
                            sigpic

Comment

I clip until I don't want to clip anymore.

Comment

Working...
                              X