Border questions/suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border questions/suggestions

I am in the middle of assembling my second quilt top. It is going to be a full size quilt for my 8 year old daughter and my 3 year old daughter may use it from time to time as well. I have sewn together pieces for each row but haven't sewn the rows together yet and have more to attach to each row and column but the photo will give a general idea of the vibrant colors of the quilt. Mind you, since I don't have the rows sewn together yet and haven't pressed the seams yet it isn't all completely lined up correctly. I am having a hard time deciding if I should do borders on it or just quilt and bind. If I do borders I have been having a hard time deciding what colors/patterns to use for them. I have considered doing a solid white, black or some other solid for an inner border and an outer border of piano key style using the same fabric as the quilt but afraid that might be too busy with how vibrant and colorful the quilt already is. I am thinking about just doing stitch in the ditch quilting if that makes any difference. Not sure yet for backing color or thread color for quilting yet though. Any thoughts and/or opinions are welcomed. image.jpg

Re: Border questions/suggestions

I wouldn't put borders. - but I am a person who doesnot enjoy doing borders even though mine are well done. I like the vibrant colors in your quilt . The blocks have movement and borders might stop that.
    "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
    Hillary Clinton

Comment

I love it! The colors are beautiful. I do many quilts in bright colors and I like the look of a black border to frame the quilt.

Whatever you choose will be beautiful.
      April

Comment

Pretty colors! I'm a no borders person. I think it's enough without them.
        🌺 Lorie

Comment

I would do a small border in that purple color and then a wider border in one of the other colors of the quilt. (I love borders.)
          Something like this:

Sheep Farmer by day....sigpic....Quilter-in-Training by night
          The Farmmyfarm

Comment

While I usually like black as a small border or for sashing, I wouldn't use it in this quilt. I think it would be too harsh. I like Sheep Farmer's suggestions of two borders to match colors already in the quilt. Both borders could be 'solid like' instead of having any kind of pattern.
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Your quilt is very pretty. I think it would look great without a border.......maybe with an orange or turquoise binding.
              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I love your quilt. The colors really pop! If I was going to choose a border, I'd probably have your daughter pick her favorite color in the quilt. then go from there.
                Katrina
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I would also suggest 2 borders like Sheep Farmer suggested and have you daughter pick her two favorite colors, as suggested by KPH. I think a piano border would be too much for this quilt. I love the vibrant colors!
                  One yard of fabric, like one cookie, is never enough!

Comment

well it depends. Is the quilt large enough for the intended bed? Do you want the overhang longer? If so then border it. I would try a white border with piano keys, or the two color border that SheepFarmer suggested.

If the quilt is long enough for the bed, then call it a quilt and sew 'er up! It would look great without a border too.

Comment

I agree with Sheep Farmer, that two borders would be great, using two colors from the quilt--if it needs a border to make it big enough. If the size is right, just bind it with one of the colors in the quilt. I love the vibrant colors and that pattern makes it very appealing.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's replies so far. Gonna lay out different options to help decide what I like I think and go from there.

Originally posted by snippet View Post
                        well it depends. Is the quilt large enough for the intended bed? Do you want the overhang longer? If so then border it. I would try a white border with piano keys, or the two color border that SheepFarmer suggested.

If the quilt is long enough for the bed, then call it a quilt and sew 'er up! It would look great without a border too.
                        I have it plotted out for using a 2" inner border and a 5" outer border but with those measurements I still have extra blocks made that would be enough to make it big enough to fit the bed without borders as well so still pretty open on options.

Comment

And because I didn't add it in my original post but the pattern I used here was the 3 dudes quilting jelly roll pattern tutorial by MSQC.

Comment

It's a beautiful quilt. I also vote for no borders and put your daughters favorite fabric as the binding. You might also want to show the options to her so she can feel like she's involved in it. Make it her own. My oldest at 8 had very definite ideas.

I have two children that are 6 years apart. The oldest at 8, did not want to share a quilt. He even went so far as to help make a small quilt for his little brother. You might want to consider making a similar one for your 3 year old.
                            Vonnie

Comment

Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
                              It's a beautiful quilt. I also vote for no borders and put your daughters favorite fabric as the binding. You might also want to show the options to her so she can feel like she's involved in it. Make it her own. My oldest at 8 had very definite ideas.

I have two children that are 6 years apart. The oldest at 8, did not want to share a quilt. He even went so far as to help make a small quilt for his little brother. You might want to consider making a similar one for your 3 year old.
                              Thanks for your comment. I will be making a quilt for my 3 year old as well and I have baby #3 (3rd girl) due in January who will get her own at some point too. My 8 year old actually suggested sharing the quilt with her 3 year old sister so don't see that being a problem from time to time until I can get the next one done. She loves sharing her things with her siblings which I find to be great but don't always expect her to do with her things. Have tons of things on my list and not enough time to do it all so we will see how soon I can get my 3 year old a quilt done too. Have hers and one for my husband and I and trying to get our house ready to go on the market to buy a bigger house for when baby comes.

Comment

Working...
                              X