Suggestions Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions Needed

My son wants a quilt made out of the Malam Batiks Fire. I can't decide whether to use white with it or black and what is a manly quilt I can make with it. Thanks!

Re: Suggestions Needed

I would use black. I think it makes a bold statement.
    April

Comment

What do you have? A jelly roll? Charm pack? Layer cake?

Comment

The Malam Fire fabrics are so dark (unless I'm not seeing the whole collection). If I'm right, I don't think I would go with black. There's not enough contrast. I don't think I would go with white either. I'd probably pick a light beige that blends with those colors and yet is light enough to give contrast. You should pick your pattern first and then decide if you even need to choose another color to go with the Malam Fire fabrics. As to patterns, picking something linear or geometric works well for guys. If you're using a jelly roll the fence rail quilts work for men. Chevron quilts are good. Brick quilts. Coin quilts. You could google "QOV quilt" and look at images. Since the majority of people in the military are men you might see some manly designs there. Just get red, white and blue out of your mind when you're looking at them.
        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

I think the zipper quilt with black would work really nice.
          🌺 Lorie

Comment

I vote for this one: 3 Dudes Quilt Tutorial: A New Twist | Always Great, Always Free Quilting Tutorials
            Vonnie

Comment

I wouldn't go with white either, too much contrast. I'd go with the lightest beige color in the collection or something a little darker perhaps. As for patterns, anything linear or geometric is always appealing to guys.
              Last edited by gigi712; July 11, 2015, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gigi712 View Post
                I wouldn't go with white either, too much contrast. I'd go with the lightest beige color in the collection or something a little darker perhaps. As for patterns, anything linear or geometric is always appealing to guys.
                Agree that white will be too startling and not harmonious with this collection. The Malam Batiks collection is huge and has several very light beiges you could use if you want more contrast in your design. Even if you go with the 3 Dudes pattern you might like to add in a few strips of a lighter beige from the collection to really make your design sing.

It would help to know which precut you have on hand to make a better recommendation.

Comment

I'd use a beige batik from the collection. I think white would be too much contrast and black wouldn't contrast enough with the darker colors.
                  *~* Myrna *~*
                  *~* Quilters lead pieceful lives *~*

Comment

What about one of these? Geometric patterns can look very masculine.

Blueberry Cake | Nacho Mama's Quilt This was a Moda pattern, but I think the quilter altered it a bit. You could pull colors from your fabric to make a nice contrast like this has.
                    image.jpg

The other two didn't have links, just pics from pinterest. But the last one M* has a pattern for, though I forget what it's called.
                    image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

I agree that the black may be too dark and the white too stark. Depending on the pattern you choose, you might want to introduce a different contrasting color. Maybe a dark gold.

Comment

I think the black could work, but wouldn't give much contrast so it wouldn't be my first choice. I think white is too much contrast with that line. The light tan seems to not work well with most of the tans from the Malan lines that are on the M* site. I might leave out the lightest tan from your set and pick one of the tans (or the same one as in the set) for the background. Another option might be a light yellow or green I saw on there.
                        https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...yellow-yardage
                        https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...-green-yardage

Comment

I love this forum, thank you all for taking the time to look at the line and all your suggestions. I think we all agree the white is to stark, and all your quilting suggestions are awesome, you have given me a great deal to think about. I will let you know what I decide....if I can choose from all your wonderful ideas.

Comment

Working...
                          X