• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oleg
    Applique Angel
    • Jun 2013

Log Cabin Quilt question

I watched a very informative tutorial on YouTube, not MSQC, about how to piece a log cabin quilt. It said to start with a 3 1/2" block for your center and to add 2" strips around it. I was wondering if a jelly roll was used, would you need to have a 4" square to start as your center? That way the proportion would be preserved. Or does it matter at all? I'm just curious what people have done (especially if you were pleased with the result!) I'm probably going to end up buying quarter yard cuts from a fabric store. I want to make a quilt for a friend who is battling breast cancer & she loves the color red. Michael Miller makes a red & white jelly roll, or I can just pick and choose my own fabrics. Wondering also what would work best for that starting square, colorwise. Would appreciate all creative comments. Thanks in advance.
  • K. McEuen
    Super Moderator
    Missouri Star
    • Jan 2011

Re: Log Cabin Quilt question

Log cabin blocks can be made so many different ways. I have seen them with the larger center square, like you describe and I have seen them with a center square that is the same width as the rest of the strips. I think it is just personal preference.

As for a center color to go with a red and white log cabin block, black would be striking.
    K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
    Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Comment

• katier825
      Missouri Star
      • Nov 2011

I made mine with 2-1/2" strips and 2-1/2" center squares. I also think a black center with red/white would be pretty!

Picture2.jpg

Comment

• pharris123
        The Guild President
        • Apr 2015

I made this one, it's great for Jelly Rolls. Curved Log Cabin I used most of a jelly roll for the fat sides, and cut various beiges for the smaller sides (Jenny used a honey bun, even easier). Tip: if you cut, cut length of fabric if you can, WOF can have significant stretch that'll throw you off sometimes.

I believe the traditional color for the center block is red, representing the 'hearth of the home' Have fun - send pics!
        Pam in the Boneyard - Georgia expat in Cleveland Ohio. Howdy y'all! :icon_wave:

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way your mom told you to in the first place

Comment

• JCY
          Missouri Star
          • Jul 2013

If you google log cabin quilts & patterns you'll find many different ways to lay them out & sizes for the pieces. The only log cabin I made was the Freedom Star Quilt which is in my albums. It alternates with star blocks. It was a free pattern on the Henry Glass web site.

Comment

• Oleg
            Applique Angel
            • Jun 2013

Just a progress report: I went ahead and bought 12 quarter yard cuts of assorted red fabric & one tone on tone black. After cutting the black up into 3 1/2" squares, it kind of reminds me of material that one would find in a brassiere! I decided to make a scrappy log cabin block by precutting all my red fabric into strips. I then alternated sewing them onto the blocks so every block was unique. This made a quilt that was 3 x 4 blocks, not quite big enough for a lap quilt in my opinion. I went back and cut the remaining strips to make an additional 8 blocks. I just had enough material -- I would not have been able to make one more block if I wanted to! At one point, I found that I duplicated one of the fabrics and had to rip out the entire block (I was 2/3 done with it!) My seam ripper and eyebrow shaper had that block unsewn in record time! I had enough material to make a new strip to sew into it and saved the block. I found that my blocks got out of alignment quickly. Early on, my strips seemed too long for the block I was sewing onto, and towards the end my block was too big for the strip! My blocks should have come out to 12" square, but I think the will be sized down to 11 3/4" by the time I'm done squaring them up. Here is a quick preview of the blocks arranged on my bed; this may or may not be the final placement. Not sure if I want some kind of skinny border to go around the whole quilt; the suede look red fabric I chose for the binding does not look good against the red of the blocks. A border (white? black? something else?) would help offset that.
            20150525_081634_resized.jpg
            I was thinking it would be nice to have it finished for my friend's birthday, but FaceBook just sent me a reminder saying her birthday is today! Not gonna happen!!

Comment

• elizabethuwood
              Machine Stitcher
              • Feb 2015

The quilt is beautiful. How about a one inch white border and then a three inch black border and bind it in black.

Comment

• sewlucky
                Missouri Star
                • Nov 2013

I agree, lovely quilt! Tell your friend it is her belated birthday gift

Comment

• Bubby
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2011

I'm making a Curved Log Cabin now and I used the same size center square as my wider strips, 2 1/2", and the proportion looks fine.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Iris Girl
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jan 2013

here is one I made with a bigger center square.It was done with all homespun fabrics.
                    My Quilted Projects 014.jpg
                    sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                    Sigmund Freud

Comment

• jjkaiser
                      Missouri Star
                      • Oct 2013

I think a narrow whote border and black & white binding maybe stripes or polka dots. Your quilt is teally pretty. Congratulations on cutting your strips out so you would have just enough for your blocks!
                      Jocelyn
                      South Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Comment

• pokeygirl
                        Binding Belle
                        • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Oleg View Post
                        I watched a very informative tutorial on YouTube, not MSQC, about how to piece a log cabin quilt. It said to start with a 3 1/2" block for your center and to add 2" strips around it. I was wondering if a jelly roll was used, would you need to have a 4" square to start as your center? That way the proportion would be preserved. Or does it matter at all? I'm just curious what people have done (especially if you were pleased with the result!) I'm probably going to end up buying quarter yard cuts from a fabric store. I want to make a quilt for a friend who is battling breast cancer & she loves the color red. Michael Miller makes a red & white jelly roll, or I can just pick and choose my own fabrics. Wondering also what would work best for that starting square, colorwise. Would appreciate all creative comments. Thanks in advance.
                        I am making a red and white log cabin right now. I am following Jenny's video for the 1 1/2 strips and I really love it.

Comment

• Amy R
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jun 2014

you are making a very lovely quilt for your dear friend. I think depending on size you need a black border or if more size needed the white and black like the others mentioned. Please post finished pics when you're done!!
                          sigpicQuilter since 2013.

Comment

• Oleg
                            Applique Angel
                            • Jun 2013

Thanks for all the comments, I appreciate the input. I'm going to go ahead and make a narrow border with the same black fabric used for the center square, and use the red cloth I bought for the binding. I really like how that looks. I finished sewing my blocks together (after squaring them up to 11 3/4") and it needs no trimming! Came together so nicely. Here are a couple of pictures:
                            20150527_073422_resized.jpg

20150527_073730_resized.jpg

Comment

• easyquilts
                              Missouri Star
                              • Dec 2012

That quilt us RED.... Which I love, and so will your friend.

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Working...
                              X