Newbie Binding Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Binding Question

I am brand new to quilting. I figured out how to cut the blocks and piece together a top. Also how to sew the top, batting and back together. But I am a little confused about the binding. I watched a video on how to do it but I was wondering if I can buy pre-cut binding in a coordinating color instead of having to cut it myself? Or is this not recommended?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sherry

Re: Newbie Binding Question

Hi Sherry, I have not used pre-cut binding but, don't see any reason why you couldn't use it for your quilt. I know you've watched Jenny's tutorials on binding but, I just want to encourage you..."You can make your own binding" you just gotta jump in there an do it!

This is my favorite binding video...1/2 yard of fabric makes 250" of binding, Whoo hoo!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gJN2dyYlIQ

I'm sure others will chime in...let us know what you decide and how it worked out for ya! Have a Great day!

p.s. Congrats on your finished quilt top!
    Happy Quilting,
    Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice! Philippians 4:3
    Link: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
    Link:I Will PRAISE Him!

Comment

Hi Sherry -
      I have used jelly roll strips for binding, I have cut my own from fabric, and I have used pre-packaged quilt binding.

The pre-packaged binding is fine, a little stiffer than a cotton strip tho. I have used the double fold and then just put the quilt edge inside the binding and sew it on. It does save time. I also cannot hand sew so it is quick and easy for me to use this kind. I prefer the larger quilt binding, but have used the 1/2 inch double fold too.

I think the prettiest binding is from a coordinating fabric.
      Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

I started out using the pre-packaged quilt binding. I used the "Double Fold Bias Tape Quilt Binding" by Wrights. It comes in a good variety of solid colors and is quick and easy. But after watching Jenny, I've started cutting my own. It gives you more choices and you can use one of the fabrics in your quilt to match it perfectly. I have also sewed strips of fabric together for an interesting effect. Do what is comfortable for you, and in time you will try different things. Have fun.
        Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

I have never used the pre-packaged binding but I'm sure it would work just fine.
          When I first started quilting I read everything I could on binding. And quilting, for that matter! My first quilts where not the best binding jobs I have ever done but I have certainly learned alot and I don't mind bindings at all. They are really the easiest part of the quilt I think. Good luck and congrats on your first quilt.
          Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I would like to encourage you to cut your binding from your quilt fabric. That way your binding fabric is the same quality as the body of your quilt and it will match your quilt. Also, the french binding method that Jenny demos in her tutorials is so nice and it's durable and easy to apply. I know you can do this.....
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I agree with Barb. In my opinion, the quality of the store bought binding is inferior. When you make your own, it matches, both in color and feel and it is really fun to do the binding! It takes a few times to feel comfortable doing it but once you do a few, you'll get the knack. My favorite part of putting the quilt together is sewing down the binding. So relaxing!!
              Good luck, Sherry!

Comment

I also love to do the binding and agree that it is relaxing. I have never tried the store bought binding have always made my own. I would encourage you to try it, it is fun and matches your quilt so much better.
                Bernice :icon_wave:

Comment

I've always made my own, too. OMG! that binding tool that Jenny demonstrated!!!! I MUST HAVE ONE! I always have trouble with the ends. Problem solved!

Comment

When my mil passed away last year, I inherited boxes, tubs! actually, of quilt binding in all sizes. That said.....I still prefer to use my own made to match the quilt or runner. It is so much cuter to use a print! Someone else might inherit all that store bought bias tape.......I doubt I will ever use it all anyway!

Comment

I'm kind of new myself so here is my perspective as a newbie. I really enjoy the binding part too EXCEPT that I am one of the few that does it completely by machine. I cut my own from 2-1/2 inch wide strips and sew them together on the bias - it's fun and easy after piecing the top! Then iron it in half. I machine stitch it to the back of the quilt first and then fold it over and machine stitch it down on the front, making sure I'm using a walking foot and juuuussst covering the stitches that show from the back. Works for me and the quilt is done. By golly, if I can do it anyone can! Good luck!

Comment

Well this tells you how much I thought I knew....LOL! Honestly never heard of or even knew you could buy pre-cut binding. Yes, I guess I'm a newbie too. I always use the fabric that I made the quilt from...same designer as the fabric in my quilt and I only sew the front down by machine. I hand stitch the back with a ladder stitch. First I cut the 2 1/2 inch strips, then sew them together on the bias or as us newbies understand, on an angle. Then iron them in half, and sew them by machine to the front of the quilt. Then turn it over the edge and hand sew it to the back. Large quilts can take up to four or five hours to sew, but I sit and watch TV or listen to music, or just sit out on the porch and watch the world go by while I sew it up.
                        Just remember there is no right way or wrong way....you do it "your" way and have fun with it.
                        Alana
                        To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
                        alanashideaway.blogspot.com
                        https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

Wow ! I want to thank you all for your kind words and advice. I feel I have learned a lot already. I know it won't be perfect but that's ok with me. I will do my best. I have been crocheting afghans for the NICU at our local hospital for over 5 years and when I got my sewing machine I thought it would be great to start making quilts for them as well. So that's why I am gathering all this information before I just jump in so it will be done correctly.

Again, thank you all for your help.

Comment

Moda also makes binding that goes with some of there lines. Our guild here used that on the queen size we made to sell at the show last year. I did the turning and hand stiching and it was wonderful to work with.
                            Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl:icon_wave:

Comment

Ha another Binding Tutorial Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12VNa...eature=related

How many Binding Tutorials did Jenny make????
                              Happy Quilting,
                              Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, Rejoice! Philippians 4:3
                              Link: Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
                              Link:I Will PRAISE Him!

Comment

Working...
                              X