X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border or not?

I am making this quilt from the free designs at the online Moda Bake Shop:

Jelly Turnover Quilt « Moda Bake Shop

I have finished the top and love it (used the same fabrics - Grant Park). This "chef" did not add a border - should I skip the border, too, or add one (probably in blue)? Every other Quilt I've made has always had a border or two so it feels strange that I'm done (well, with the piecing).

What do you think? What would you do? Thanks in advance!

Re: Border or not?

The design looks pretty modern, so I would leave the border off. Nice design.

Comment

Inclined to agree. I don't think it needs a border. It's a lovely looking quilt.

Comment

I'm a border person. I almost always have 2 - a narrow inner border and wider outer border. Lay out some fabrics and take pics. That might help you decide.

Comment

I agree with the no border group.
          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
          Sigmund Freud

Comment

I do borders only when I have to, anymore, because I love the clean look of a borderless quilt.

So... I vote no border... The quilt looks terrific without one...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Comment

Its really up to you. I would tend to go with the no border group but if you need it to be bigger by all means go with a border.
              Grandma Nan

sigpic

Nancy

"Some of the best memories are created in flip flops"

Comment

It's a lovely quilt. It is scrappy and scrap pus always look great without a border. If you want one what about a floater and then a boder of the blocks, but have the small triangle going indifferent directions. That would make it bigger, help with your comfort zone and have a really modern look.

Comment

I like it just as it is. I wouldn't add any borders unless it needed to be larger. And, I think borders will make the quilt look very different. As it is, the area at the edges of the quilt almost look bordered with the spacing of small colored blocks and the background material.
                  If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I have this quilt in my "someday I'll get it done" file. I love it! I'd leave it without a border so the design remains intact. It is really beautiful. How tricky was it to make?
                    ~Louise

What do we live for, if it is not to make life less difficult for each other?
                    George Eliot

Comment

Unless it needs to be bigger for a specific bed/person/use, I'd leave the border off. Or if it feels too weird to not border, something narrow. Very narrow. And if I was going to border the one in the tutorial, I'd pull one of the reds to slip under that blue binding.

Comment

I usually like borders but on this quilt I agree with the no border group. It looks complete without one.

Comment

I agree. No border. That's a cute quilt.

Comment

Finished quilt size is usually why/when I add a
                            border(s). If you want the quilt to be bigger then
                            consider adding a border(s).

Comment

I wouldn't worry about a border if it is the size you need it to be.
                              Katrina
                              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Working...
                              X