ORANGE PEEL / PUMPKIN SEED with Bleached Muslin a bad idea ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RookieQuilter
    Beginning Stitcher
    • Oct 2013

ORANGE PEEL / PUMPKIN SEED with Bleached Muslin a bad idea ?

I've started this really neat quilt, thanks to Jenny's recent online video - it looked so easy and gorgeous in the blue and white ( I too am a sucker for anything blue & white!!). I bought the 4 packs of 5" squares of the "Bluebell", but I decided to take a shortcut on the white background fabric and go for 'bleached muslin', trying to save a buck. I had no idea how thin that stuff is ! :-( I have sewn a few 'seeds' onto the muslin and am seeing that it's not going very well, seems like the muslin is not stiff enough to withstand all the stitching that will go on in the corners. I've tried spray starch but it's just not quite enough backbone for this fabric.

I have four blocks completed, just to see how it was going to look and to further test my theory. Should I abandon this muslin and purchase some 'stronger' fabric ? Or will this stuff hold up better than I think it will ?

So much for taking the shortcut, right ? Ends up costing more in the long run. This is why I still consider myself a 'rookie quilter' !! ~~ Thanks in advance for your advice. Happy quilting day to everyone
    Try to be Optimistic Today ... It really can't be ALL bad.
    Stephanie
    ~~~~~~~~

Daddy always Said : Don't say "Can't"!

Mom always says 2 things :
    (1) If You Don't Know, Ask.
    (2) If You Don't Ask, You Don't Get.

Husband Jack teaches me regularly :
    (1) If you don't know what to say, don't say anything.

Just a little something to think about today.
  • Madeforyouinma11
    Missouri Star
    • Jul 2012

Re: ORANGE PEEL / PUMPKIN SEED with Bleached Muslin a bad idea ?

I have used muslin in a quilt before and I didn't have that problem at all. Maybe it's the quality of the muslin. I just purchased a cheaper muslin to make slipcover patterns but when I buy it to use in a quilt, I buy a higher quality muslin. Before I buy it, I hold it up to the light and feel it to make sure it is a thicker fabric. You might have purchased a lower quality of muslin. Without seeing it, or feeling it, I can't give any advice on wether or not it will hold up...that will have to be a decision that you make.
    I'm sure someone with more experience will come here and give you a better answer. Hope it all works out for you.
    Cil
    A quilt is a blanket of love
    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

• RookieQuilter
      Beginning Stitcher
      • Oct 2013

Thank you, Madeforyouinma11 ... that was an excellent answer ! I sincerely appreciate the quick response. You are exactly right about holding it and feeling it .. I bought this online, even after reading reviews about it being thin. I just didn't go with my 'gut feeling' ... which said NO, this isn't right. I guess the 'bleached' part of it is what messed me up .. I was looking for the whiteness of the fabric.

Live and Learn!

I think I am going to have to start over if I want this thing to work out and last. Again, thanks so much for your time.
      Stephanie
      ~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Blondie
        Missouri Star
        • May 2010

Ditto our Cil's advice. Muslin is all types of good and bad. I love it most sincerely when it is good.
        Perhaps you can make a pincushion or small pillow out of the squares. It would be easy to put a small lining under those blocks. Or you can also do what I have done with blocks that are leftover or whatever reason I do extra blocks - sandwich the blocks and practice hand stitching various designs.

And BTW - WELCOME!

Last edited by Blondie; March 9, 2015, 07:55 AM.
        Sewing mends the soul.
        sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
        Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
        ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• RookieQuilter
          Beginning Stitcher
          • Oct 2013

Thank You Blondie !! You are very kind

"... And BTW - WELCOME!

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE] "

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.
          Stephanie
          ~~~~~~~~

Comment

• RookieQuilter
            Beginning Stitcher
            • Oct 2013

By the way ladies, please learn from my mistake, besides the obvious (ultra thin BLEACHED muslin) ...

I just found out that the Pellon fusible DID NOT TAKE VERY WELL on this muslin. I was trying to figure out if I needed to purchase more of the Bluebell 5" squares in addition to the more substantial white fabric ... well guess what !! The football shaped fabric PULLED RIGHT OFF THE MUSLIN FABRIC !! It's like I had not even ironed it on. Can you imagine not using the blanket stitch to attach the fabric to your background, just doing some basic in-the-ditch quilting (like I am guilty of ) and throwing that into the wash !! Pull it out and have a white blanket and a thousand individual footballs again !!! O M G !!

Sooo, like I said, please do learn from my mistakeS. Use a good quality fabric and follow the instructions!

Live and Learn or Learn by Doing. Both are costly, in more ways than one!

Hugs to all - Have a great Monday (or Tuesday, or Sunday maybe, though I don't think I have THAT many fans )
            Stephanie
            ~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Betsy D
              Designer Diva
              • Aug 2014

It sounds like you have some crummy fabric, I would start over with some better white.

Comment

• cyndiofthevortex
                Missouri Star
                • Oct 2011

Welcome to the forum from New Hampshire. You're right about learning from mistakes. We all do it and hopefully don't make the same mistake twice! Show us your quilt when it's done - I know we'll all like to see it.
                Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Comment

• quiltingaway
                  Missouri Star
                  • Sep 2014

My go tos are either Kona cottons or Moda Bella solids. Both very nice fabrics and come in lots of colors too.
                  Annie
                  "The Mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Comment

• Madeforyouinma11
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by RookieQuilter View Post
                    Thank you, Madeforyouinma11 ... that was an excellent answer ! I sincerely appreciate the quick response. You are exactly right about holding it and feeling it .. I bought this online, even after reading reviews about it being thin. I just didn't go with my 'gut feeling' ... which said NO, this isn't right. I guess the 'bleached' part of it is what messed me up .. I was looking for the whiteness of the fabric.

Live and Learn!

I think I am going to have to start over if I want this thing to work out and last. Again, thanks so much for your time.
                    You're welcome! You can still use a BLEACHED muslin, you just need to get a better quality. I've used it many times for the back of a quilt and it has worked great.
                    Cil
                    A quilt is a blanket of love
                    http://www.pinterest.com/cil3612/boards/
                    http://www.creativelyhomemade.etsy.com/

Comment

• Bubby
                      Missouri Star
                      • Jun 2011

As mentioned above the quality of muslin really varies. I'm making the Orange Peel quilt and I'm finding it to be a LOT of work. It takes time to complete even a few blocks. I wouldn't want to risk the possibility that my quilt wouldn't hold up long term. I am using RJR Cotton Supreme Optical White and it's working out fine.

Since you have only made a few blocks it's not too late to switch to a more stable background fabric. I think that in the long run you will be happy you switched fabric. Good Luck.
                      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• Miss Sheri
                        Missouri Star
                        • Jan 2013

I love a good quality muslin, it comes out so soft. But a crappy one is nothing but a headache and a heartache waiting to happen. Good Luck, and welcome to the forum.
                        sigpicMiss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Comment

• Divine Daisy
                          Missouri Star
                          • May 2011

So sad this has happened! Try with a better quality muslin but I just wanted to interject one word of encouragement on this subject.

So this time it hasn't worked too well......but you have learned a lot from the experience. Don't be afraid of mixing fabrics though. the effects can be fabulous with dif textures and effects. when washed the quilt can change from a lovely example to an amazing piece of art that people will be asking over and over how you achieved the effect.

I regularly use silk in my quilts. Now don't faint! We can get silk very cheaply in the UK thanks to all the amazing Asian fabric shops. It is cheaper than cotton 90% of the time. Try adding some slub silk, some embroidered silk and see what effects you can get. I use corduroy, chenille..............all kinds in applique. Muslin is great. Try it again and embrace the mixing of fabrics, depending on what it is maybe wash it first but experiment and enjoy enjoy enjoy
                          Blog
                          http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

• Granny Fran
                            Missouri Star
                            • Apr 2014

Divine Daisy hit it right on with the "wash it first" advice. I choose to wash muslin and flannel as well, because of the looser weave. It "toughens' it up so to speak and will be more stable. I like muslin for backing as it is very soft when laundered.
                            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                            Aesop

Comment

• RookieQuilter
                              Beginning Stitcher
                              • Oct 2013

I have been steadily working ... I got the OPTICAL WHITE 5" squares and things went a lot smoother, literally! I kept the squares I had already done on the bleached muslin (1) as a reminder of the fabric and (2) to keep from buying another bundle of the 5" Bluebell pack. I think it will blend in well. Enough. {smirk}

I cannot thank you ladies enough for all of your kind words and encouragement. I really do appreciate it all.

I do have another question though.

I have been asking and asking on the YouTube page where this pattern is featured. What are the BORDER INCHES for the inner white border and the outer blue border ?? I cannot find the answer to that simple question anywhere.

I keep seeing 1-1/4 yards for the white border and 3/4 yard for the binding; 2 yards for the backing if using 90" fabric ... why is this such a mystery ?? Is this something a person is supposed to already know or understand, given the 1-1/4 information? I'm sorry, but I do not.

https://youtu.be/5tyAig7XupI ... this is the www.YouTube.com link.

Thanks again for ALLLLLL your help!
                              Stephanie
                              ~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X