Border Quandry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Border Quandry

I did this One Block Wonder completely from directions with no help. I had no idea what I was doing when I laid it out. I really do start too much stuff with no real idea how to do it...fly too much by the seat of my pants I think.

I want this for a couch quilt and I am tall (5'10"). This turned out to be a little short for me and I have no more material. I made the borders out of some black I already had and made them larger to help make it longer. I am wondering if the black color....or the size....or both simply overwhelms the quilt. Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

Also I just noticied when I took it off the design wall that one side of the quilt is slightly longer than the other. Have no idea why this would be when I trimmed every row to be consistent size. No idea how to fix it.

I live in the black hole of LQS (which is why I try so much on my own). I really appreciate this forum and the honest opinions and help one gets here. Opinion away!

One Block Wonder Christmas.jpg

Forgive the quality of the pic. Light in this part of my sewing room not great and I used my Iphone instead of a camera.
    Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Re: Border Quandry

If one side is not even with the other I would probably take off the borders and start over. Before I attach borders I take 3 measurements: the ends and the middle average it and that's how long I cut the border.
    I also rip my border fabric. Make a tiny cut and pull it apart. Its fun! I always get a very straight piece.

Do you have any blocks left over or any fabric to make a few blocks? One idea is to insert a block in a couple of places in the border so it looks like the piecing runs off into the border. Then the border can't overwhelm the beautiful center.

I made a one block wonder. It is so neat to see what pattern will appear. Thanks for posting the pic. I enjoy seeing what others are creating.

Comment

If you could order more of the fabric you used, it would make a beautiful border. Being a print, it wouldn't take away from the beautiful blocks. Maybe a 2 inch solid border before and after a larger print border. I know it can be difficult to find older fabrics though. Etsy has always been helpful when I'm looking for discontinued fabrics.
      Having said all that, I do like the border you used! It does draw the eye away from your center, but not enough to make the great blocks unnoticeable.
      Great quilt, and pretty colors!

Comment

I love the colors you chose for your OBW and the blocks look great! I always think OBW quilts just look best with one wide and dark outer border (and bound in the same dark to give the artwork a frame) or with no border at all.
        Piecing on Bernina 820
        Longarm quilting on APQS Millenium

Please visit me at
        My Blog "Peachy Pages".

sigpic

Comment

Since the quilt is for you, I wouldn't worry about it being slightly off. No one else will notice. I agree that if you can find the fabric you used for the body of the quilt, that would be ideal for the border. A lot of people do that or use it on the back so you can see what the original fabric looked like. If you can't find that, I think matching the light teal color in the center would be neat.

Comment

Thanks for all the opinions. They helped a lot.

I took the borders off...the quilt being longer on one side really bothered me. I wanted to figure out what was wrong so it wouldn't happen again. A lady at the sewing group I went to said to adjust the seams on one end of several of the rows.

I think it was a problem combining some inaccurate cutting and maybe some inconsistent seam allowances. I measured until I realized the problem was only in 1/3 of the quilt and I took off one piece, retrimmed it, and "fixed" some of the seams. I now have it within 1/4 inch (it was almost 2 inches!!). Lessons learned: Since making this quilt I had come up with a new strategy for consistent seam allowances that helps (I used a piece of moleskin stuck to the machine with painter's tape to keep my seams straight while stitching. Even with the 1/4 inch foot I was "veering" off some.

I have a new mat that I can see the markings on better and I think I will be able to trim more successfully. I also got a Martelli ruler that does NOT slip that I think will be helpful.

I will admit I had not been measuring the quilt before attaching borders, so I learned that lesson.

I have ordered more of the material to use as a border. If I hadn't found it I would probably have reversed the borders and used the red next to the OBW and the black as a frame. I would like to know how to make the OBW blocks look like they have "escaped" into the border...is this applique??

Thanks again for the help. As you see, I am really listening.
            Connie

Our lives are like quilts – bits and pieces, joy and sorrow, stitched with love.

Comment

What Pattern did you use? I love the variegated look! I'm a total newbie and like you find this forum amazing and very imformative. Cheers Aussie Jan

Comment

Working...
              X