FMQ with standard machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FMQ with standard machine

I'd love to try FMQ, but there is no way to lower the feed dogs on my Elna machine. How does one cover the feet? What do you use to do it? Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks much to all.

Re: FMQ with standard machine

I have a little plastic thingie that cover my feeddogs on my singer promise.

Can you look to see if you have one of those in the supplyes that goes with your machine?
    sigpic

God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The stash to make a quilt to help me cope,
    A quilt to give to comfort those I love in times of hurt, fear and uncertainty.
    And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

If you don't have the little plastic thing that Swedish Leo mentioned, set your stitch length to zero and cover your feed dogs with masking tape or blue painters tape. Just keep the area open for the needle to go down into the bobbin area.
      When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Hi Swedish leo,

I don't think I have any plastic covers for the feed dogs. Would it look like the plastic thingys that cover live electrical outlets? My machine is at least 20 years old, an Elna Carina, if that helps.

Thanks much for the suggestion and interest, though.

Comment

Originally posted by SF Jen View Post
          Hi Swedish leo,

I don't think I have any plastic covers for the feed dogs. Would it look like the plastic thingys that cover live electrical outlets? My machine is at least 20 years old, an Elna Carina, if that helps.

I will see if I can take a picture of my thingie. Do not know the correct word for it.

Be back soon
          sigpic

And the courage to keep on sewing when life itself seems held together by a single thread of hope.

Comment

Here we go

I decided to call it Feed dog cover thingie.

Here is mine. Sorry for the bad photo, it is late at night here in Sweden.
            It is the best I could do .

Hope this helps.

Annika
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

Hi Annika,

Thanks for the photos. I clearly don't have anything like that in my box of attachments, but I'll check and see if the Elna site might have one. Hope you sleep well, too. Best, Jen

Comment

It's called a darning plate.
                I have an older machine that I can not drop the feed dogs on either and tried to find one online. No such luck, however you can cover the feed dogs with a piece or heavy card stock, a piece of manilla file folder, piece of stiff plastic, or if you get a slick mat (to help ease the fabric...like Supreme Slider) you will cut a hole for the needle and thread, but it will cover the feed dogs.
                Try a few things out and hopefully you will find an easy solution.
                Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....:icon_noob:

Comment

If you can put the stitch length to 0, you don't need to cover the feed dogs. I've found some very practical info here:
                  A Few Scraps: Free Motion Quilting: Feed dogs

Comment

Originally posted by SF Jen View Post
                    Hi Swedish leo,

If you have an Elna Carina, there should be a silver metal plate that clicks in over the feed dogs. I used to have a Carina and that is why I happened to know this little tidbit.

Comment

Hi Janbee,

I'll check for the silver metal plate. Thanks so much for the suggestion. Jen

Comment

Yes, all good advice here. Also, cardboard cut from cereal box will work, too.

Interesting to note, however: one of Leah Day's free motion quilting tutorials (look her up on Youtube) she said she no longer drops her feed dog! She said sewing machines were built to USE the feed dog and some machines won't work properly and may even be damaged if the feed dogs are dropped for free motion quilting.

So she just sets her stitch length to "0" and no longer drops her feed dogs (at least as of the publishing date of that tutorial -- which I think was in the series where she did a block sample a week for a year).

She recommends checking with the manufacturer or service center for your machine and/or trying it both ways (dropped and not dropped) while you free motion quilt in all directions on a sample sandwich.

Good luck!
                        Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                        http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

You can cover it with a credit card size card. You can use one of the fake ones you get in the mail and tape it down with masking or blue painters tape. I did this when I missed placed my plate
                          sigpic
                          Kathy Jones

Comment

Many thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll start some mug rugs and try the various solutions.

Comment

Thanks for all of your advice I tried using the stitch length at 0, and it worked. Now all I have to do is practice coordinating my foot and my hands, as suggested. My first effort was pretty poor, but lots of fun! Your advice was perfect!

Comment

Working...
                              X