What kind of thread do we use to machine quilt a quilt ? please read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What kind of thread do we use to machine quilt a quilt ? please read

My favorite FMQ threads are: Superior King Tut and Signature. These both are 40 wt. cotton threads. I buy the large cones. A couple times I used YLI, but I don't like it as well. It's more linty. Also, even though it's labeled 40 wt., it's closer to 30 wt. & the tension in my bobbin had to be adjusted. (My machine repairman gave me a separate bobbin that was adjusted just to the YLI.) I believe the Superior web site has a lot of info. about threads.

Comment

I was offended by that comment, as if I were stupid, I thought there were NO STUPID questions. I'm a retired professional and I surely know WHAT acronyms are, If I start using the acronyms from my profession, you most likely wouldn't know what I was talking about. All professions etc, have acronyms, but when one is new to something usually the acronyms are new too, and on a forum like this I would expect someone to kindly tell me what it is instead of " call me dumb". Wendy B

Comment

I didn't know there was a " pre-requisite" to be on this list, sorry,

Comment

Originally posted by zaneyzelda View Post
          what do you mean when you say : ". May be time to up the acronym lists." ? Do you mean we need to update a list or I need to learn more acronyms ?
          Originally posted by zaneyzelda View Post
          I was offended by that comment, as if I were stupid, I thought there were NO STUPID questions. I'm a retired professional and I surely know WHAT acronyms are, If I start using the acronyms from my profession, you most likely wouldn't know what I was talking about. All professions etc, have acronyms, but when one is new to something usually the acronyms are new too, and on a forum like this I would expect someone to kindly tell me what it is instead of " call me dumb". Wendy B
          There was absolutely no reason to feel offended. All Sandy did was go to General Discussion and bump several threads to the top so that you and anyone else questioning what a quilter's acronym meant could find the lists easier.

If you took offense because of what Trish felt "Sandy meant" that is an issue with Trish, not Sandy.
          K is for Karen 😊​..................
          Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Comment

Wendy---just as you would in your profession, we often toss out shortcuts and acronyms as we speak of our quilting. There are no dumb questions nor any need to take offense. Everyone on this site is willing and wanting to encourage and help you as you move along on your own quilt path. Every day new people join this forum and we are all on different levels of understanding and knowledge. No two paths look the same, but everyone is so helpful and kind here. Please take a breath and give it some time. Read, ask questions, and learn......no one wants to hurt your feelings. We were all beginners at one time and we all acknowledge that fact.

Comment

This is the list that has the acronyms used often on this site. It was "bumped" it up so we can see it again. I copied and pasted it into my "user notes" when it was posted before.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gen...e-may-ask.html

Please feel free to ask all questions. We are all here for the love of fabric, quilting and all things thready.

And I prefer Aurifil thread for quilting. It's strong and not linty. I have used embroidery thread before but I like my quilting to sort of fade and blend into the quilt. I also use Connecting Threads (CT) too. But my heart belongs to Aurifil. Too bad my pocket book doesn't agree.

Comment

I just finished a FMQ quilt using embroidery thread. My first time. Loved the color and the shine so I thought I would give it a try. Loved the look especially in feathers. I did have to up the needle size because the rayon thread tended to unravel and break. I will definitely use it again. I have a Juki.

Comment

Wend B:

It's my hope that you come to enjoy and find this forum a great asset.

I, too, am new to quilting as of last summer and found this site shortly afterwards. I would guess that the advice and info gleaned from the questions I've posted here and what I've learned from other peoples' questions would have taken me years to learn on my own otherwise.

Sorry you were offended by a previous post. I do think that the mention of an acronym list meant it was time to dig it out and repost it as I just saw it this morning in this forum on two other threads. It was, by the way, most helpful and had some funny acronyms on it as well -- ones that only a quilter would appreciate!

Blessings and best wishes to you on your quilting journey! Hope to see you in the forum.

TTFN as Tigger would say (or, Ta Ta For Now)

Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                  http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

Oh, and by the way -- I am currently hooked on Superior Threads, but will be ordering some thread from Connecting Threads this weekend to try it because they are having an AMAZING sale and many in this forum have recommended Connecting Threads thread. I would like to try Isacord sometime as recommended by Leah Day (Google her for GREAT free motion quilting tutorials).

A GREAT educational video on threads can be found at the link below as well as on Superior's website which I will post below as well.

Dr. Bob's Thread Tutorial Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3290...-89KICucbZ74Zi

Superior Thread website http://superiorthread.com
                    Be sure to click on "Educational Articles" and "Reference Guides" for LOTS of info as well as browse the products on the site!
                    Blessings, DramaMama

"May your bobbin always be full!"

Massdrop Refer-A-Friend link: :icon_woohoo:
                    http://link.massdrop.com/54bd7c22291...of0ePjsfeAaf4b

Comment

The thread you choose for quilting will depend upon the effect you want to achieve. When I do "stitch in the ditch", (SITD), I don't want the thread to show, so I use either 50 weight polyester or cotton, or 60 weight polyester (also called bobbin thread.) For 50 weight, I put 50 or 60 weight in my bobbin. For 60 weight, I also use 60 weight in the bobbin.)

If I want my quilting to really stand out, I use heavier weight threads - 40 and 30 weight cottons. For these threads, I use 50 or 60 weight in the bobbin. I try to match the thread colors to be the same. Or, I try to match the bobbin thread to the backing fabric regardless of the color on the top. It is easier to use the same colors, if you can, as you have less of a problem if the tension is slightly off.

If I want the quilting to be shiny, I use the polyester threads, usually 40 or 30 weight also. And, again, I use 50 or 60 weight in the bobbin.

If I decide to quilt with 50 weight cotton, I will use either the same thread in my bobbin, or use the 60 weight bobbin thread.

As someone else mentioned, different threads do better with different size needles. For a comprehensive explanation of threads and needles, go to the Superior Threads web site and delve into their educational/information section.
                      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

sylvia H, thank you for the extensive knowledge, I've copied it and saved it for me thanks, Wendy B

Comment

If I am the Trish that you think I think you are dumb or posted a stupid question - where in the world is THAT in my reply?
                          Sorry I replied if that is what you perceive I said.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

This week I've been quilting three baby quilts, stitch in the ditch....first used king tut 40 and the next two used aurifil 50.... Must say for ditch quilting, I'm having better success with aurifil 50...I think for FMQ king tut would " look" better.. IMHO

Comment

Chill Pills for sale . . . CHEAP.
                              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                                Chill Pills for sale . . . CHEAP.
                                You are going to have to just give them away, as you well know - no sales on the forum.
                                K is for Karen 😊​..................
                                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                                T - is it TRUE?
                                H - is it HELPFUL?
                                I - is it INSPIRING?
                                N - is it NECESSARY?
                                K - is it KIND?

Comment

Working...
                                X