Downton Abbey Jelly Roll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downton Abbey Jelly Roll

This is my first jelly roll and I ordered a Downton Abbey Jelly Roll. Should all the different fabric strips be placed together. ie: there are 4 strips of each fabric together when the jelly roll is opened (4 purple, 4 light purple, 4 cream, 4 grey, etc.). After watching the video tutorial it appears that the strips are different fabrics sewn together as it comes off the jelly roll rather than the same fabric strips sewn together. Would someone please advise as to how a jelly roll is laid out and whether I should sew the jelly roll as it came or sew the different fabrics together? Thanks so much.

Re: Downton Abbey Jelly Roll

If you are asking about the Jelly Roll Race quilt, you do not put the matching strips together, use them as they come off the jelly roll. Jenny has a few tutorials on different ways to do this. Here are the youtube links. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEJLnaZQOU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w9UOFj0CSo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY4tEEpyhX4

If the links aren't working, please let me know and I will try again.

Comment

What quilt are you making?

Comment

I had a Downton Abbey Jelly Roll as well. I really don't care for the jelly roll race quilts (I did one just to check!) and I found this pattern and used that jelly roll to make it. I used black for the sashing and the borders.

downton abbey top.jpg

These are the directions I followed. Color Me Happy Quilt
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Thank you so much Mina Jane. I've watched the youtube video's before purchasing the jelly roll. With this Downton Abbey Jelly Roll the fabric's come sorted together and since it's the first jelly roll I've purchased I didn't think I was suppose to sew the same fabrics together but wanted to make sure.

Comment

Snip Snip, I purchased the Downton Abbey Dowager Countess Jelly Roll.

Comment

Bubba, Love the Color Me Happy Quilt. I was hoping to complete Jelly Roll Race Quilt with the Dowager Countess Jelly Roll. I just wasn't sure if the fabrics went together or if I was supposed to separate them when I began the quilt. Do you have a picture of the Jelly Roll Race you completed with the Downton Abbey Jelly Roll? I'd love to see it. Thanks so much for your reply and suggestion.

Comment

Oh, I really like your Color Me Happy quilt! I have only made two quilts so far but I think that may be my third! Thank you.

Comment

I'm sorry if I confused you. I did not do a JRR with this jelly roll. I did the Color Me Happy. I used a different one for the JRR.
                  pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mina Jane View Post
                    Oh, I really like your Color Me Happy quilt! I have only made two quilts so far but I think that may be my third! Thank you.
                    It's really quick to sew together! May have taken one afternoon.
                    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
                      I had a Downton Abbey Jelly Roll as well. I really don't care for the jelly roll race quilts (I did one just to check!) and I found this pattern and used that jelly roll to make it. I used black for the sashing and the borders.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97735[/ATTACH]

This by far is the best looking jelly roll quilt I have seen so far...not a fan of the "race" either!!
                      Mary
                      SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

Comment

Oh i love this, on my big ole to do list!
                        Finished is way better than perfect! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I love this. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

So, when making a jelly roll race quilt, I sew the jelly roll by strips as the fabric comes off the jelly roll, even if the fabrics are grouped together?

Comment

You can sew them however you want. Some people mess them all up, put them in a bag and randomly pull them out and sew them together like that. When I did the Color Me Happy top, I arranged how I wanted them to be together because they would not be folded and moved around the way they are in a jelly roll race.

You saw the Downton Abbey one I did....here is the JRR I did for my grandboys girlfriend this past Christmas. I just don't like how they turn out because I like things more uniform. They are fast to do though!!

jamies quilt.jpg

I think this is the JRR #3, where you add the little squares of fabric on the end of each strip as you sew.
                              pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X