Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Downton Abbey Jelly Roll

Originally posted by vafarmgirl1 View Post
    So, when making a jelly roll race quilt, I sew the jelly roll by strips as the fabric comes off the jelly roll, even if the fabrics are grouped together?
    It is hard to determine, as some jelly rolls only have 2 duplicates, and some have 3 or 4. I have made a few of these quilts, and I would sew two of the same next to each other, but not 3 or 4. Regardless, there really is no way to plan how the quilt will turn out (unless you are a genius in planning fabric layout and want to spend an unbelievable amount of time doing so). You can have several people using the same jelly roll, and each quilt will look at least a little bit different than the others.
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

Originally posted by bubba View Post
      I had a Downton Abbey Jelly Roll as well. I really don't care for the jelly roll race quilts (I did one just to check!) and I found this pattern and used that jelly roll to make it. I used black for the sashing and the borders.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]97735[/ATTACH]

These are the directions I followed. Color Me Happy Quilt
      That is an awesome pattern! The instructions said not to use duplicates, but if you don't, the quilt could be significantly smaller. Did you use a whole jelly roll for yours?
      If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.- Zig Ziglar

Comment

I did use a whole jelly roll. I divided the strips up into duplicates. There were only eight or ten fabrics, so there were a lot of them! I then numbered them and arranged them in like groups. There was one group that had less and I placed that in the middle group. So say, groups 1, 2, 4, and 5 each had nine strips, group 3 had only six. I then sewed them together in that order, alternating ends I sewed from to eliminate the bowing, then cut them apart, flipped the two sections it calls for and added the sashing. It took some playing around to get the arrangement I liked, but I did it all in one afternoon.
        pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

Working...
        X