what kind of flannel do you use for quilts, ? please read1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what kind of flannel do you use for quilts, ? please read1

I think the cheaper flannels just have so much "filler" in them, one or two washings and it all comes out. Lots of pretty lint. Some I have look almost threadbare after washing.

Comment

The best I ever had was Henry Glass, but I also like Robert Kauffman, especially for solids. I've been pleased with Northcott and Primitive Gatherings also. I agree Moda is nice. I work the sales, black Friday, end of the year, etc. Also remember we are nearing the end the flannel season as we get into spring, and they will be on sale again. If you can store them over, that's a good time to buy. I had a couple of nice pieces from Walmart last year, but this year's seems icky. The problem with the Walmart flannel is I couldn't tell until after it was washed which ones would pill, etc, and which ones were fine.

Comment

After reading the beginning of this thread I had to go shopping for flannel myself and was a bit more careful about what I was getting. I went to my two usual store, bought 12 yards of a few different kinds for baby blankets, and just finished washing them. I am very happy with their quality , but I have two that seem to be of even better quality. I dont think I would have ever noticed before reading this post. I only buy from good fabruc stores, and I really do see the quality in their fabric. All that being said, if I cant really afford to pay for that quality, I jusy wait for their 50% off sale, then go nuts,lol.

Comment

A. E. Nathan flannel is usually less expensive than Moda, etc but washes up really nice, at least what I've purchased.

Thousands of Bolts ... only one nut!: is a good place to order decently priced flannel that is a good quality.
          K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
          T - is it TRUE?
          H - is it HELPFUL?
          I - is it INSPIRING?
          N - is it NECESSARY?
          K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Comment

Well I kinda like the "old" look myself. I've had some flannel fade and look old and some not. Bought from different places and different prices. I don't see why you still couldn't donate the quilts. I know you want it to feel fresh and new for the mother and baby. "Vintage" is still in and a mother in need will always appreciate anything given, especially out of love.
            If you don't ask, you don't get. Ghandi

Toni

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up. I never realized that there was such a difference in quality of flannel. Now I do, and I'll be purchasing better flannel. I did a flannel receiving blanket and was very disappointed after washing it. Didn't gift it, my dogs now use it!

Comment

I made large receiving blankets for swaddling for my 3 grandchildren using Riley Blake flannel. It still looks great after many washes.

Comment

Before Christmas I bought some flannel at Fabricland on a great sale at $4/m. My plan was to make pjs for my nieces. I pre-washed and wasn't too happy with the outcome. It pilled pretty badly. Not sure what I'm going to do with it now, possibly just some cozy rag quilts for tv watching.

Terri

Comment

sewelegant,............. yes, I will be buying better flannel too, but i bought So MUCH when Joanns had their sale. I'm going in to talk to the manager tomorrow, I sort of know her from going in a lot and I am NOT a happy camper !!!!!!!!! I was going to donate my pieced top baby flannel quilt to a church auction to raise money for poor kids in my town , but after I washed it a 2nd time, it looks icky, No one would bid on that Wendy B in Grants Pass OR

Comment

I was going to donate the pieced top flannel baby quilt I worked so hard on, but after I washed it a 2nd time., it looked so old. No one at this community auction would bid on something that looks so tacky, not just pills, but snags and looks like someone bought it at Goodwill and donated it to be sold ;( Wendy

Comment

thanks Karen, went there , bookmarked it and there are many A.E. Nathan Flannels on ebay too. thanks so much, Wendy

Comment

Meghan, thanks for your results I"m on such a tight, fixed budget and I'm donating the baby blankets, so I didn't know joanns was so bad first wash isn't bad, 2nd wash it looks bad to me. and I bought so much because it was Black Friday prices !!! :UGH will have to make blankets for all the pet shelters in the USA to use it all Wendy B

Comment

Wendy, you could use the Joann's flannel as the middle layer in rag quilts. It won't show since it would be in between the front and back layers of either cotton or a better quality flannel.
                            K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                            T - is it TRUE?
                            H - is it HELPFUL?
                            I - is it INSPIRING?
                            N - is it NECESSARY?
                            K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Comment

thanks Karen, that is a good idea and I have heard one can use them for baby quilts as batting, using about 3 layers ??? but I spent hours and hours and hours picking out coordinates at the store !!!!!!!!!!!!!! gRRRRRRRRRRR, I'm talking to the manager tomorrow, because I would imagine most quilters who donate, don't wash them more than once, and they don't know what they are donating. I washed it 2 times on purpose to see, once before I started and once after the quilt was done. NOT HAPPY I guess I should have tried one before I bought so much on their Black Friday sale, but ??????? live and learn the hard way, yes ????? Maybe I'll just sew for all the pet shelters in the USA< I have enough wendy B

Comment

This is a useful review of flannel that Erica from Kitchen Table Quilting did on her blog. I have only ever found Moda locally, and it's wonderful.

Kitchen Table Quilting: Using Flannel as Quilt Backing - Tips and Fabric Options

Comment

Working...
                                X