Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have a quilt frame. How do you use it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have a quilt frame. How do you use it?

Hello, I'm a first time quilter. I do all my quilts by hand. I have a quilt frame I guess that is what you call it. I'd like to know to know how to use it. I have never seen anyone use one.

Don't get me wrong I'm not dumb, just not well learned on this item. I only use a sewing machine to make my tops and to help do the binding other then that I do everything by hand.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: i have a quilt frame. How do you use it?

What kind of qult frame do you have?
    :icon_wave: Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

Comment

There are lots of frames. Do you have a picture??
      sigpicMy friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Comment

It has 2 long sides and 2 ends not sure if it has a name or not.

Comment

No picture . At this moment i can't even try and set it up. My craft room became my sons bedroom and the other room my daughter and grandson have. I have the ends of frame under my bed and the long sides in my attic.

Comment

It sounds like you might have the old school type wooden frame. You have to have a lot of space to set one of those up. You mentioned sides and ends, you should have legs for it too. The quilt gets attached to the frame with cloth leaders, just like a longarm frame.
            K is for Karen 😊​..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

Alright, on the ends the feet are attached there. there is a small amount of material on the long sides. I have 3 red small C clamps also. My mom gave this to me. Thanks for all the help so far. I'm going to try and get pictures and post them later but my space in my home is limited right now.

Comment

About 2 feet wide? Sounds very much like my American Legacy frame. After basting, you attach one of the shorter sides to a long piece by pinning it to that bit of fabric and roll the quilt up on it, then attach the other end to the other pole, mount them in their brackets and roll to tighten. Quilt that area, then move it onto the "empty" pole by rolling it and unrolling some from the full pole.

Comment

thank you so very much. i have never used one so I'm thankful for all the help.

Comment

Not enough space is something most quilters struggle with. I've read that some quilters raised the frame on cords to the ceiling and lowered it when they wanted to quilt. Might need some engineering skills to accomplish that feat.

Comment

That doesn't work well with the smaller free-standing frames. They tend to come apart.

Comment

Thank you so much.

I posted some of the items I started making if you would like to see them. My first 2 quilts are for my grandchild. and the third I is for a auction this summer coming up. I do everything by hand except for putting the squares together i do "TIE" quilts. I use yard to secure all my squares. and i am learning how to do binding. please enjoy what pictures I have posted. And again thank you.

Comment

Working...
                        X