Fusible fleece instead of batting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fusible fleece instead of batting?

I'm making placemats and I was wondering if I can use fusible fleece instead of batting? I have tons of it and no batting at home. I'm mostly worried about frequent washing - don't want to use something that gets ruined after 2 washes....
    Do you use special kind of batting for placemats and table runners or just the same thing as for your quilts?

Re: Fusible fleece instead of batting?

Good questions. I'm making some placemats that I need for a gift this weekend so a prompt answer would help me too. I was just going to use scrap batting that I have.
    ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I use products such as Insul-Bright, Warm & White, or Warm & Natural.

All three products are made from the same company: The Warm Company www.warmcompany.com

Insul-Bright is great for for hot pads, oven mits, etc.

I use the warm-n-white (or warm-n-natural) for placemats, table runners, etc.

I double layer for hot pads and table runners, I single layer for placemats

I buy mine at my local fabric store (JoAnns, Hobby-Lobby, etc)

hope that helps

Comment

The warm & white/natural is a batting. That's what I use in my quilts.

I have seen a few people mention using the fusible fleece in their tote bags instead of batting and that they were happy with the results. I personally have not used the fusible fleece. If you do a search on this site for "fusible fleece" you will pull up the threads where it was mentioned. I would think if it worked for a tote, it would work for a placemat.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Good question to ask. And thanks the answers.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

do you have enough scraps to do a mug rug size test piece? you could put one together fairly quickly & wash it a few times. maybe put a hot cup of tea or coffee on it...see if that affects the fusible glue....don't know....just a thought
            If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so surprised.

Comment

thanks for the ideas ladies - I did used fusible fleece for several bags, but never for placemats. Maybe I'll try to make a small mug rug or wander to my local quilts shop for some batting

Comment

As long as you do some quilting on the placemats I don't see why there would be any difference using fusible fleece or any other type of batting. I've used the fusible fleece for some pot holders and it seems to be working fine.
                When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I have used regular fleece in placemats and then quilted them. They wash beautifully.Hope this helps Donna
                  :icon_wave: Those who sleep under a quilt are wrapped in love

Comment

Working...
                  X