If you had $1000 what kind would you buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you had $1000 what kind would you buy

I will be reciving a bonus form work soon at about $1000 i would lkie to buy a new sewing machine ( not that i really need one) I am new to quilting and have not even made my first quilt but am addicted already (sound strange?) i saw on simpoz Jenny got a new singer but i am open to suggestions. Thanks

Re: If you had $1000 what kind would you buy

What sorts of things will you use the machine most for? (Applique, quilting - large or small quilts?, general sewing, embroidery)

$1,000 will be enough to get you a basic sewing machine that might include needle up/down and some decorative stitches. I'd look at brands like Husqvarna Viking, Brother, Babylock and Janome as they will be more in your price range.

Test drive whatever machine you are thinking of purchasing!!! Bring in your own samples to sew with.
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Comment

Congratulations, Louise! I have a low end Janome and love it. You should definitely get something you love, whether or not you need it. You're receiving a bonus and the message is "good job, now celebrate"! Maybe some new fabric, too??

Comment

Originally posted by Louise View Post
        I will be reciving a bonus form work soon at about $1000 i would lkie to buy a new sewing machine ( not that i really need one) I am new to quilting and have not even made my first quilt but am addicted already (sound strange?) i saw on simpoz Jenny got a new singer but i am open to suggestions. Thanks
        If you notice, someplace in the Sympoz video, Jenny got that Singer because they sponsored her. She used a Janome before that, the Singer was free. I do believe someplace she said she preferred Janome. I have a Pfaff, but they are rather pricey. I lucked into mine years ago when a friend wanted to sell it because she didn't like it after she bought it.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

I just got a Janome 2160 and love it. It's much less than $1,000 so you can spend the rest on an extension table. Wish I had one. My previous machine (a Brother) had one but it doesn't fit my new machine
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

I've had Berninas since the 70's, 4 different ones. For a starter just for stitching(not embroidery) I would check them out. Also I bought one of mine off Ebay and have not been sorry. The decorative stitches really can really dress up crazy patch quilts. Check oout Ebay when you decide what you want, check closed auctions to see what recent prices are. Often there are models no longer made brand new. Try several different brands. Maybe your local classifieds will have one somebody bought and didn't like.

On Ebay be sure and check sellers satisfaction rating.
            Sue
            Last edited by lamkin; August 2, 2011, 02:18 PM. Reason: add a line

Comment

I have a Brother CS6000i which has 60 different stitches (only $152 on Amazon), it was about $450 when I bought it in 2007. It works great and has an extension table that comes with it, as well as a bunch of feet including a walking foot. I used it in a class and the teacher liked my machine better than my friends, and she spent over $1000. It doesn't do embroidery, but it is inexpensive enough that you could put the rest towards one.
              I have been using my brother since early 2007 and have completed MANY quilts using it and it is still going strong!
              I don't want to say anything bad, or get anyone mad at me, but I have heard really bad things about Singer since they were bought out by the Chinese several years ago. I know people in my Quilt Guild who have had them and had problems from the first day.
              This is just from my experience, but I hope it helps!

Comment

I have a Brother NX 450 that I bought last year when I got into quilting, it is easy to use, it cost about $800, I like it so much I just bought a 780D Brother embroidery maching and it is so fun. I am fairly new to this hobby so I don't need all the bells and whistles YET. I just love both Brother machines.

Comment

I too have heard some bad things about the newer Singers.
                  I bought a new Babylock about six months ago and well... though I hate to admit it, I wish I'd stepped up the Bernina that I really wanted. The Babylock (Symphony) is okay ... but not as amazing as its price tag should require. I would take time and do some real shopping around. As the others have said.... test drive several. Don't just use their little scraps of fabric, bring your own ..... denim and a quilt sandwich.... something thin and something thick. Once you have that baby home, he's yours so make very certain you love him before you pay for him....
                  Wishing you the very best of luck!!!!
                  ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                  Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                  (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

I primarily use a New Home Memory Craft 4000...New Home was bought out by Janome. I would take a serious look at a Janome. I also use a 1947 Singer Featherweight machine, but other than the old ones, I don't think I would invest in a Singer. I had one of their first electronic machines (an Athena) and it had problems from day one and spent more time at the shop than at home. I have been looking at Berninas lately.....the top of the line for quilters (non-embroidery) is $6,400.00 the low end Bernina for quilters was $2,700.00. A good sewing machine can be an investment and only you can decide how much you want to invest.....
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Louise, that's wonderful! I hope you get a machine that you love. Let us know what you end up with and send us a picture!
                      Bec

Comment

Forgot to mention that Bernina has the BSR(Berrnina Stitch Regulator) foot for free motion quilting, stippling. No mater the speed of cloth movement the stitches stay the same length. Ebay has a Bernina 440QE(quilters Edition) on bid presently with the embroidery attachment and BSR attachment. Be sure and investigate the BSR machines.

Sue

Comment

Louise, I want to share something with you about the possibility of purchasing your machine from EBay. While I was looking for a new sewing machine, I found a couple of good buys on EBay.... both stressed their factory warrantees. I even contacted both sellers to inquire about the warrantee and they assured me the company would honor the warrantee. I went to look at machines at both the local Bernina dealer and and Babylock dealers. I made it a point question them about purchasing machines on EBay and both of them said the same thing, "Neither Bernina or Babylock will honor a warranty on their machines that were not sold by an authorized dealer. (and authorized factory dealers are not allowed to sell on EBay) There is something about registering the warranty with the company and only an authorized dealer can give you a true warranty, no matter what anyone tells you. So my advice, hon is to make sure you buy your new sewing machine from an authorized dealer, if you want the company to honor the warranty.
                          ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                          Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                          (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

If you have local quilt shops, check out their trade-ins. Some people buy a machine and only keep if for a year or so before trading it in on something else. You can get some really good deals.

Comment

When you decide on a machine it would be nice if you let us know what machine and why you chose it. I like the 9 mm stitchwidth I have especially for the decorative stitches.

Sue

Comment

Working...
                              X