Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilting tools for a beginner?

Hello everyone,

I apologise if there is already a thread related to this somewhere but I am VERY new to quilting and I would love your input in what is the best tools for a beginner? I don't even have rulers or mats yet and before I went out and spent a bit of money on this I thought I'd ask what you guys can and can't live with out! I have a feeling this hobby is going to get expensive, lol. Also, I have a sewing machine that isn't classified as a quilters sewing machine.. would it still be okay to use it? Would I need to get a certain foot or needle?

Thanks for you help
    Visit me at my blog http://hiccupsandcandyfloss.blogspot.com/

Re: Quilting tools for a beginner?

I actually wrote a whole blog post on this last month for a friend of mine who had the same question!
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Comment

Wow, this looks great! I'm going to read this tonight. Thanks Katherine!
      Visit me at my blog http://hiccupsandcandyfloss.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hollie, your sewing machine will work well for most quilting. Everyone likes a walking foot if they are going to be doing machine quilting (top, batting, backing being quilted on the machine), and a 1/4 inch foot guide is very beneficial - it helps you make certain your seams are uniform. A cutting mat, rotary cutter with replacement blades, rulers - I'd recommend you start with a 6x24 inch ruler first - good quality fabric and thread. Beyond that, let your imagination control your efforts, relax and above all, HAVE FUN!!
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hollie, I'm new to quilting too. I took both of Jenny's online courses (Quilting Quickly I and II) and they were very informative. I learned allot. You can find them at Craftsy.com
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Hi there Mrs.PumpkinPie!

Welcome to the wonderful world of quilting. Now that you're starting this journey, in case you didn't know already...you have chosen a hobby that can be a little spendy at times. And when trying to get some basic tools under your belt you can just SEE the dollar signs multiplying. Everything below is my personal opinion and by no means the end all be all. If it works for you...GREAT use it. If something else works better, wonderful! We're all different and like different things

Now for your machine, it really depends on if you want to QUILT your quilt yourself. Your machine should be perfect for regular sewing, however I might recommend a "straight stitch plate" for it when you're piecing. That way if your doing triangles they don't get pulled down into the slats for where your machine would normally zig-zag. If you plan on having someone machine quilt your quilts or even try your hand at hand quilting them you should be fine. You'll also be able to use your walking for and do all kinds of straight line quilting easily. I'm no good at doing free-motion so I can't speak to that!

Anyway you can check out my blog to see topics I have on this. They should all be classified under the heading Tools. Basically helps you navigate through getting a good price on tools to leave you money to spend at your LQS on fabric and certain items you can only find through a LQS dealer.

But not to worry, there are some great ways to be a thrifty & nifty quilter. First off your LQS is your friend, however you have to find the right balance for yourself when it comes to getting your quilting gear. I use my LQS for fabric, fabric and more fabric. I also have gotten my line of rulers from them (I will tell you about those later)

The next thing is Joann Fabric is your FRIEND! Many times online or in-store you can get up to 50% off notions. I would reccomend getting an 45mm Olfa cutter and mat when they are on sale here, also grab a package of replacement blades if they are 50% off as well. One thing I will caution you on is this, don't get the big WHITE cutting mat. This is really more for scrapbooking and isn't self healing. Just as a side note. (for the cutter, mat and replacements it would be around $56 if on sale)

For rulers....well there is a ruler for literally EVERYTHING out there. My personal favorite are the Nifty Notions rulers and of those there really are only 4 you need. The large 7x24 strip ruler, the Half-Square triangle, and the Quarter Square Triangle. The only other one I might recommend for a beginner is the Bias Triangle Ruler depending on the type of quilts you're making. These rulers make quilting easy as well as saving you a bunch of fabric. The other thing I like are the lines are thin so it's easy to line up your fabric and make accurate cuts. (remember this is in my opinion) Those will probably run you around $60

So for a little over $100 that would get you the tools to get the job done.
            -Michael
            http://thequiltguy.blogspot.com
            http://www.quiltconnect.com/profile/miholmes

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X