A Morris Tapestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Morris Tapestry

You've heard the saying, "Measure twice, cut once." Well, I often measure 3 or 4 times and cut the same number of times. There is short circuit in my brain....somewhere between measure and cut.

About four months ago, I decided to make a quilt using Jenny's altered squares tutorial. So, I cut two layer cakes... one into 5" squares and the other into triangles and sat down to sew. I remember being soooo frustrated because nothing matched.... so I put it all away and pouted over the loss of TWO layer cakes in one of my all time favorite lines. I hid them from myself so I wouldn't feel so guilty about ruining sixty some dollars worth of fabric. To make a long story longer.... lol...... this past weekend I was sorting through my stash and found the bag of "altered squares" and decided to try to do something with them. I looked at the few I'd sewn together and shook my head as I ripped the awful seams. I pieced the entire quilt top..... and only 3 or 4 were a little wonky but easily fixed and now my Morris Tapestry Altered Squares quilt is ready for sandwiching and quilting. My point in telling this longggggg story is to say, I've learned so much in the past few months.... from all of you wonderful quilters. A heartfelt thank you to each of you. There was nothing wrong with the blocks... but there was much wrong with my seams and knowing how to deal with triangles.

Thank you all again for your help and patience as I learn more about quilting ....
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Re: A Morris Tapestry

That's a wonderful story! I feel the same way - I am learning and getting better every day! Glad you got it all worked out. I love that fabric line too.
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

How great to see progression. I think I am seeing some, too - and I am still plugging away. Maybe I can redo that last BOM block that has some 70 or 80 pieces and lots of triangles. Thanks for sharing hope!!
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Great story. thanks for sharing. I learn something everyday here on the forum and every time I make something. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks!!
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Mia, Good for you!!! What a great report...We are all learning and growing as quilters. I learn something from someone on the forum every day and, hopefully, occasionally I share something that helps another quilter. The wonderful thing is that we learn from each other and we spark creativity from each other....Thank God there are no quilt police!!!! Barb
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

what are altered squares?

Comment

Mia - as Bubby says - Good For You! for not giving up totally and never picking them up again. I do have some projects I haven't gotten back to that needs fixing, but someday. Now I am too busy with other newer projects. But they aren't forgotten cause I still keep putting them on my UFO list.
              Can't wait to see a photo of your quilt. I am not sure what altered squares are either.

Hugs,
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
              http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
              http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Mia, that is so funny! I have a bag full of Pure squares and triangles from my first attempt at Altered Squares! I may need to revisit them, because at the time...I'm not sure I'd ever matched a corner when I tried that.
                Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
                Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

I haven't tried the Altered Squares yet but will be soon after reading this if I a problem I'll know it can be worked out. I had just about given up on finding yardage for the b,b and b for my D9P, I had looked everywhere, one internet search after another and no luck. Then I was reading through some old posts on here and came across the one with the web addy for Find My Fabric, I went straight to the website and voila here is my fabric in OK. of all places. I ordered and should have it in 3 days. Found the fabric to finish my other one here in town today. Should have the charms to restart my pinwheel in a couple days, so I have enough to keep me busy. I am so glad I found this forum I am having so much fun since getting on here. Just knowing I have great people like you to get help from makes it so much easier and relaxing. I don't feel like I'm out there in a fog somewhere. Barb I agree 100%, thank God there are no quilt police. LOL
                  Mary
                  A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

What are Altered Squares!??!
                    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Altered Squares is a tutorial that Jenny does in her first Sympoz class. You will probably recognize the quilt on the wall behind her from some of the YouTube tutorials.

altered squares.JPG

One block is done as a four-patch and the next with four triangles.
                      K is for Karen 😊​..................
                      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                      T - is it TRUE?
                      H - is it HELPFUL?
                      I - is it INSPIRING?
                      N - is it NECESSARY?
                      K - is it KIND?

Comment

Oh My Gooodness, what a fantastic, wonderful read you've all just given me. I smiled all the way through it..... and I realized how wonderful it really is to have made new friends. I'm really glad to know I'm not alone in my search for the skills to make anything close to a perfect quilt. Sometimes when I come on here seeking advice, I fret over asking too many questions but there is always someone who shares and helps me learn. So thank you.... really. I hope I can somehow return the favor.

The first quilt I saw on Jenny's tutorial that I really wanted was the brown and green and aqua one that hung on the wall. I even asked about the fabrics and was told there was no charm pack or layer cake.... only fabrics from the store they'd put together. It is still a favorite.

Thank you all again .... and if I can help .... with anything, please ask
                        ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                        Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                        (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Mia what a great story. We do learn a lot from the wonderful people here.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Mia, you truly inspire us! As do so many of the folks on this Forum. We truly are blessed for such a wonderful way to learn, share and chat. As you, I've found that when I am having trouble with a project, I put it away and then when I come back to it, it is so much easier to figure out the problem. Thank you for the reminder! This is such a great place!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Txgrandma View Post
                              I am so glad I found this forum I am having so much fun since getting on here. Just knowing I have great people like you to get help from makes it so much easier and relaxing. I don't feel like I'm out there in a fog somewhere. Barb I agree 100%, thank God there are no quilt police. LOL
                              That's why all of us keep coming back. From experience on other forums I can definitely tell you that the 'owners' make the forum what it is - and the owners here are truly fantastic people. Thank you, MSQC!!!!!
                              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Working...
                              X