Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I Nuts To Outline Pinwheels on the Diagonal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I Nuts To Outline Pinwheels on the Diagonal?

I know you ladies have lots of experience, so I'm asking for advice on what to do! I am making this pinwheel block quilt (bed size) --it's my first one--and I finished stitching in the ditch on all the horizontal and vertical lines. Doesn't look that bad for my first quilt! Then I got the "bright idea" of why not stitch in the ditch for all the diagonal lines too, so the whole pinwheel is "outlined." Now I am not sure if that is something "typically" done or I'm biting off way more than I should--- as it seems to be taking me soooo long to get this diagonal stitching done-- and it's so much harder to stitch without going way outside the "ditch." I've never seen this addressed before...
    Do you ladies do the diagonal? Should I rip out the few lines I've done and just call it a day? There are 90 pinwheel blocks in this quilt! I'm not sure if I can do this diagonal part as it seems now like excessively time consuming...or is this just "typical" quilting? Thank you for any advice on this. I'm just plain confused.

Re: Am I Nuts To Outline Pinwheels on the Diagonal?

I'm a fan of quilting the heck out of whatever top you are doing so I say go for it! It'll make it more stable in the end and when you wash it, you won't have weird sags in areas that were not quilted out heavily. Some might think it is overkill but I enjoy lots of quilting in my quilts.
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Comment

I think it would make those pinwheels pop. Sounds like a lot of work, but I think it would be worth it.

Comment

I have quilted around pinwheels and it does make them pop. Of course the quilt wasn't bed sized, just a throw for my husband.
        Hola from sunny Mexico, Cheryl:icon_wave:

Comment

I think you would ultimately be happier if you also quilt around the pinwheels. You might need to take a little break and then get back to it. I often do this when I'm finishing up a quilt rather than rushing myself. Barb
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you all for your responses! I think I will take that encouragement and go for broke with the quilting all of the diagonals. As far as unquilted areas sagging, that's exactly the kind of advice I needed to know, as I have zip experience with knowing what happens to quilts in regard to washing/useage.
            If I can figure out how to post a picture of my finished first quilt, I will try to do so!

Comment

Did you ever try Jenny's better way to make pinwheels? She says to take two squares, like two charms, or whatever size you want, then put them right sides facing each other, then sew a 1/4" seam all the way around the outside edge, then cut from corner to corner then corner to corner again. Open them up and you have a pinwheel! And they always match. It works, I've tried it. Jenny's vid is on youtube. Try it you'll like it. No more sewing on either side of the line, or hoping that you measured right. It just fits perfect! Hugs, Jan L
              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I haven't tried doing pinwheels yet, but it sounds like Jenny's way would be easy. Thanks for sharing, Janluna. I think I'll go watch the video now.

Also, I agree that I would go ahead and outline the pinwheels. I like lots of quilting to help hold the batting in place. I think it just makes a nicer looking quilt.
                Last edited by bec; August 1, 2011, 08:48 PM.
                Bec

Comment

I've never heard of Jenny's way to make perfect pinwheels--I will definitely try that next time as I found it kind of hard to get all the points matched up doing it the usual, shortcut way. Thank you so much for sharing that!
                  I've got all the diagonals quilted--now I'm going to read up on how to put the binding on; I selected the color tonight--(powder blue) and am anxious to finish the quilt-- but alas, have a visitor this weekend and probably will put it on hold until after she goes back home. I need to get a t-shirt with that saying on it..."I'd rather be quilting!!!" :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X