Quilt Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Idea

My grandson wants an Arkansas Razorback quilt. I am attaching a computer generated drawing of what I am thinking about. Any ideas would be appreciated very much! I so very new to this quilting thing and have so much to learn!

scan0002.jpg

I understand that the Razorback logo is copy writed but am in hopes that because it is for personal use and not for sale it will be okay. I purchased a beach towel and cut the hogs off of it to use in the center of the quilt.

Re: Quilt Idea

Hi Illine

First figure out the dimensions you want to use.

I would consider enlarging the razorback and other figures to applique on the background. You could embroider the features. You can use a 5 " charm squares for the corners of your background piece.

If you do that first, you will have a better idea how many rows of checkerboard you are going to need. Once you figure that out, I woud sew strips of red and white checkerboard style ~ here's a good tut.http://www.mirkwooddesigns.com/proje...eckerboard.pdf

Good Luck! There are probably as many ways to do this as there are quilters on this board.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I certainly suggest strip piecing the checkerboard section. It will keep your checkers more accurate. Remember to flip the seams the opposite direction on the second set so they nest when you sew the checker strips together.

If you are using something that already has the logo on it (towel, shirt, etc.) you should be OK, as you actually purchased the logo item, AND you are not going to re-sell the item.

Have fun with this! It should be a great gift!
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

My only concern would be how you plan on keeping the terry cloth hog from raveling. The checkerboard will go together fast as strip piecing.
        K is for Karen 😊​..................
        Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
        T - is it TRUE?
        H - is it HELPFUL?
        I - is it INSPIRING?
        N - is it NECESSARY?
        K - is it KIND?

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I've actually been working on the center portion of the quilt today. I can't enlarge the razorbacks because they were that size on the towel I purchased. I didn't know any other way to get the razorback other than to purchase something already manufactured.

Karen, I used a Pellon iron-on backing on the hogs, cut them out and then zig-zag stitched them into place. I hope that will keep them from raveling. Is there anything else I should be doing to them that might make it work better?

Thanks for the help on this project!

Comment

Illine - there is a product called Fray-Check (I'm not positive about the spelling) that can be purchased at fabric shops. I have some but have never used it. I would imagine that it may leave a residual like nail polish but I'm not sure. However, if there's any doubt that the zig-zag wouldn't hold and keep the terry from fraying I'd be inclined to use it. Maybe someone else has experience with the product. I just bought it, well, just because it was there . . .
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I've used Fray-Check in the past. It works pretty well and holds through washings. It does leave a bit of stiffness where you apply it, but some stiff edges are better than a raveled pig.

You might do a test with another piece of the towel, cut, iron on backing and zig-zag it to fabric. Toss it in the washing machine and see what happens. At least then you'll know what to expect before you get to a completed quilt.
              K is for Karen 😊​..................
              Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
              T - is it TRUE?
              H - is it HELPFUL?
              I - is it INSPIRING?
              N - is it NECESSARY?
              K - is it KIND?

Comment

I would use a satin stitch around the razorback. That will definitely keep it from fraying, and it will add a nice border to make the "hog" stand out.

Comment

Can't wait to see this completed. Looks great! He will love it!

Comment

Hi, why not just use college themed fabric? You can find some at http://www.jandofabrics.com/proddeta...?prod=col00047
                    I know there are lots of other places that sell college logo 100% cotton fabric. That would work out better than worrying about the towel fraying.
                    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

Here is a link to a quilt store that has quite a bit of sports fabric. Just type in "Arkansas" in the search. Like your idea and you may get more ideas with everyone's help. Check out my Red Sox quilts, too.

http://www.bearpawquilting.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi
                      Susan

Comment

I did some fleece panel quilts for my in-laws, backed them in flannel and quilted it out. No binding necesssary since I turned them inside out and blind stitched the opening shut before quilting. Fabric.com has a few panels of the fleece print I used for Arkansas - take a look!

Here's photos of how my quilts turned out:

It was a lot easier than applique. They didn't even know I'd made it by hand until they spotted the labels on the quilt backs the next day.
                        Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                        Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                        Pinterest

Comment

Razorback quilt 3 all.jpg
                          Thanks to all. I am using a college theme fabric for the backing on this quilt (see above).

I am not sure I'm good enough to do a satin stitch yet. I may try the Fray-Check.

Thanks to all and keep those pointers coming in my direction!

Comment

Kate, those quilts are GORGEOUS!

Comment

YEA!!!! I'm satin stitching and it's not perfect but it looks SOOOOO much better than the zig-zag! Loving It!

Comment

Working...
                              X