• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cat n bull
    replied
    Re: More Fleece Quilt Questions--or Better said: "HELP!"

Originally posted by auntiemern View Post
    Well heck, guess I should start looking at the dates, lol.
    HAHAHA! Me too! I just saw it pop up several times, so I figured I'd check it out!

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Well heck, guess I should start looking at the dates, lol.
    Originally posted by Vonnie View Post
    Um, I hate to mention this, but this is an old thread/post - over two years old. The person who started it hasn't even been on here for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Vonnie
    replied

Um, I hate to mention this, but this is an old thread/post - over two years old. The person who started it hasn't even been on here for a long time.

Leave a comment:

• Cat n bull
    replied

I use fleece on quilt backs but have never pieced a fleece top.

I think the envelope method is going to be a nightmare of folded fleece along the edges, or you are going to end up with a lot of fleece scooted towards the end of the seam line and have a bunch of extra fabric to try to squeeze into the end.

Do you have dual feed on your machine, or a walking foot? Definitely use it if you do.

My suggestion is to take your pre-shrunk flannel, lay it on the biggest table you have, doesn't matter if it hangs off the edges, and put your quilt on top. Scoot it to one side so you have that side's edges supported, and use your hand and see if you can press/coax the fleece to flatten out. Start in the center, where the fabric is the tightest from the piecing, and work your way out to the edge. It should stick to the flannel pretty well, making it easier for you. Sometimes fleece bounces back so to speak, after it's been stretched, with a little coaxing. You may also be able to stretch that center out little by little to get the edges to smooth out more.

If YES, it does flatten out, then I suggest using a spray baste and baste/quilt as normal.

If NO, it will not flatten enough to continue, then I suggest fixing it to make it lay flat. Even if you just fold the excess and hand sew it. Fleece is VERY forgiving and hides all KINDS of boo boos.

Your quilt is BEAUTIFUL!

Leave a comment:

• auntiemern
    replied

Envelope method[ for sure. Good luck. This is honestly the first time I have EVER seen any one piece a top with fleece. Maybe in the future, save that for the backing. Just a suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• chelea
    replied

What if you used fleece for the backing and then finished it like a no-sew fleece throw? The border and backing would be tied together in a knot which would solve the stretching problem.

Leave a comment:

• kensington
    replied

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
    I agree with bakermom - I'd envelope it and then tack instead of trying to quilt it. Ease that border in and no one will ever know.
    I'd use a box knot with embroidery floss... at least four threads. I tie mine with a large needle and sometimes the whole thread.

Also, I'd stick with the flannel back if you are tacking, it will not be too hot but soft and cuddly.
    Last edited by kensington; November 21, 2013, 02:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ziddina
    replied

I also love the look of your quilt - and having made the mistake of using a knit fabric (fleece) against a woven fabric (cotton quilting material), I can sympathize.

First of all, fleece is actually a knit. DO NOT USE A WOVEN FABRIC like flannel AS THE BACKING. Buy ANOTHER piece of fleece & use THAT as the backing.

Dealing with a knit is tricky. If you want to quilt the top to the backing, DO NOT PUT THE BORDER ON FIRST. Save the border for LAST, as the top & bottom will tend to 'wiggle' as you sew them - "quilt" them - together.

When I have to top-stitch a knit - (in this case, you'll be sewing on top of two layers of fleece), I use my seam ripper's point - or the point of an awl - to manually push the top layer of fabric (GENTLY!!) towards (under) the foot, so that the top piece isn't stretched out of position relative to the bottom piece. It is a VERY labor-intensive method, but next to hand-sewing the two pieces together, yields the best results.

Once you've gotten the top & bottom pieces of fleece together, THEN you can sew on the border. The border will also need to be made out of fleece, needless to say... [groan!!]

Best results to you!

Leave a comment:

• Loonwatcher
    replied

Love the look of your quilt. The pattern is great. I recently completed a fleece quilt that gave me nothing but problems. I put it together via pillow case method and then instead of quilting I tied it with embroidery floss. The finished quilt was a 30th birthday present for my son and he loved it. I'm sure your finished quilt will be great too. Only the maker sees any problems.

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

I agree with Sandy and Bakermom. Use the envelope method and tack it rather than trying to quilt it. I'm afraid trying to quilt it would cause you more grief. It's going to be a very nice quilt. Remember, you learn something from every quilt you make. Barb

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

I agree with bakermom - I'd envelope it and then tack instead of trying to quilt it. Ease that border in and no one will ever know.

Leave a comment:

• Mimis-quilts
    replied

Or you could tie it with yarn!

Leave a comment:

• bakermom
    replied

I think i would use the pillowcase method, easing the fullness in as you sew. Have the border against the feeddoge to help ease it to fit the backing. another thought would be to lay it on the backing, wrong sides tog. and using a bar tack stitch to "tie' the layers instead of stitch in the ditch if you're worried about more stretching.

Leave a comment:

• Pixquilt
    started a topic More Fleece Quilt Questions--or Better said: "HELP!"

More Fleece Quilt Questions--or Better said: "HELP!"

Hi,
    I posted for some advice previously, and am now at a standstill. I finished the fleece top
    put a border on it, and was ready to put the flannel backing on it. The border, altho I tried very hard, obviously still stretched, and I don't think I can stop that.
    So, how to continue with putting the backing on? --No batting, too hot.

Shall I try to do it like a pillow case, turn it inside out, safety pin it and stitch in the ditch (my original plan) or lay the top, which stretches over a taut flannel back and safety pin it and stitch it in the ditch. My concern it what will happen to the border since it is so stretched out.

Okay, I now get why you're supposed to use cotton for quilts, but I've come so far, and there must be a solution. I've attached some pictures. Help me out, please.

I appreciate your responses,
    PixP1010624.jpgP1010629.jpgP1010630.jpg
Working...
X