Fabric blends vs 100% cottons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabric blends vs 100% cottons

Recently at a fabric exchange that my wife and I participated in at a local quilt shop, the fabric to be exchanged were to be 10 inch Amish colors. When we purchased out fabric, it was 100 % cotton (Kona). I know from the feel of some several squares that some one purchased poly-cottons or broad cloth. I guess I'm questioning using this in a quilt. What are the pros and cons of mixing cottons and poly-cottons?

Also someone (probably 20 years ago) gave me a paper box full of plain colored fabric, I dug them out and know they are poly-cottons and cottons. What is the test to determine 100 % cotton? Can this be used for charity quilts? I know if I want it to be a keepsake quilt, I'd use 100% cotton.

I've got the half-square triangles sewed, pressed and sized for an Amish Star quilt - background color is Kona black. Need to keep going on it.

Take care - happy sewing. Robert, in northern Iowa.

Re: Fabric blends vs 100% cottons

Hi Robert, I'm not sure about a test for 100% cotton (I'll be waiting to hear from the quilting pros!). I would definitely use the combination in charity quilts - we do at church and they do fine.

Comment

Hi Robert, I will admit up front that I am not a polyester or poly-blend fan in quilts. If you want to use up your fabric, I would recommend using only one type of fabric in a quilt...either all cotton or all polyester or the poly-blend. I've seen quillts that were all cotton on the top and poly on the back and binding and I don't care for them. One of the primary differences is that poly doesn't have the drape and "give" that you get with cotton. Crumple a handful of cotton in your hand and it will relax in your hand. Do the same thing with poly and it will try to spring back. I consider poly to be a resistant fabric. Poly also doesn't hold a crease well and it "pills" after a moderate amount of wear. Batting will also beard (migrate) through polyester much easier than cotton. I've read the burn test results of fabrics and if I recall, poly melts rather than burns because it is synthetic and cotton is a slow burner and will burn completely because it's organic. I'm not trying to discourage you...just my opinion. Good Luck...Barb
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Robert, I had the same question when I first started quilting and applied the burn test to sort them. Just a sliver of the fabric in a saucer, light it, blow it out and if the resultant wisps of smoke are white its cotton, if it has black in it, its synthetic. I mixed some before I identified them and found that the synthetic puckered against the cotton and didn't look at all nice. Best of luck.

Mary B.

Comment

Ditto what Barb and Mary said, Robert. I have used some blends in small lap quilts that I donate to the assisted care centers in town. I think they do better in a small quilt
          Sewing mends the soul.
          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

I have also seen a quilt that was made with both and it didn't look good. It did pucker and it was very noticeble. The burn test is what a fabric store recommended to me, the poly or the blends will melt or at least have a small shriveled edge, the cotton will burn not melt. Nursing homes will take just about any kind of small lap quilt for their patients to use. That would be a good way to use the poly and the blends.
            Mary
            A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Working...
            X