Tips on cutting up clothes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips on cutting up clothes

I was wanting to make some quilts to donate to a local shelter but I am limited in funds for fabric so I was thinking of recycling clothes. I'm just not sure how to get started cutting them up...it seems to be the hardest part. Are strips or squares generally considered the best way? Any tips would be appreciated! --Sarah

Re: Tips on cutting up clothes

I have always just cut along the seams getting the largest pieces of fabric from them and then treat it as you would any other scrap fabric. Also, I have found great deals on fabric at garage sales, estate sales, and thrift stores. Flannel sheets (an easy find at garage sales) make an inexpesive batting, and most types of sheets also make great material. I am sure the quilts you donate will be much appreciated whatever the are made of. Blessings to you and to those at all of the shelters.

Comment

I'm glad to read that about the sheets. I had read they were too closely woven to quilt easily but happy they will work OK.
      I Love to go garage sailing [lol] and did that yesterday but didn't find any material. Someday soon I plan on making a jeans/flannel rag quilt so that will be my source for denim but want to finish a few projects before I start stock piling jeans.

Comment

Claire, I wish you luck. I have about 7 or 8 BUSHELS of jeans that I've gathered to make rag quilts but have never started. Want to raid my jeans stash?
        Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
        it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Another way to get jeans is have your friends and neighbors donate. I couldn't believe how many pairs I got when I started asking for old ones. Just a little hint with the rag quilts made from jeans, if it is a very big quilt take it to the laundrymat to wash to fray the edges. Jeans loose a lot of thread clippings and I plugged up my washing machine. I always take my large rag quilts to the laundry to wash them in the extra large capacity washers, one plugged up machine with water running all through the kitchen is enough. I have made several small lap rag quilts and given to the nursing home and also did a twin size bedspread for my son using his old jeans, now that he's married they use it for a ground blanket for the park and such places. They are very heavy if they get big and they work up great just using one layer of fabric and no batting also, unlike other rqgs you'll just have a definite wrong and right side.
          Mary
          A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

thanks for the advice, I was planning on using the denim and flannel without any filler. The washateria is a good idea also, for at least the first wash.
            Thanks for the offer Sandy, would love to come and see you in Mo.

Comment

Thanks for all the good ideas!

Comment

Working...
              X