New to quilting need easy pattern

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to quilting need easy pattern

Hi I am new to quilting and bought 4 sets of charm packs in christmas patterns i need and easy idea of what to make with these i would like to make some quilts for my fellow employees Thanks

Re: New to quilting need easy pattern

I would say the dissappearing 9 patch (D9P) is a great beginner pattern. There is a tutorial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjZOXxPazg
    from Jenny. I love it since it is easy yet looks great! I am a beginner too and have used 2 charm packs along with a border to make one lap quilt.
    Have fun
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

I love the disappearing 9 patch too, but if you watch Jenny's tutorials you will get lots of ideas. Have fun and good luck!
      Jo :icon_wave:

Comment

Hi Louise, The D9P is a wonderful beginner (and not so beginner) pattern. You could make a 5" tumbler quilt or a snowball quilt, etc. There are ever so many good tutorials on this site that are perfect for newbies. You can't go wrong with any one of them. Most of the smaller lap quilts you can do with two charm packs plus a little extra for borders and binding. Good Luck and post pictures of your results...Barb
        Last edited by Bubby; July 29, 2011, 08:11 AM. Reason: typo
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Hi Louise:

A table runner would be a nice and easy gift as well. You could use the D9P that the gals are talking about, or you could just sew up the charms as is to make 4 1/2" squares by the width you want. You could do a rectangle of 3 squares X 6 squares, add a border and it finished! A very easy quilt for a beginner.

Have fun with whatever you decide, and post pictures when finished!!!
          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome. Just browse the tuts and you'll get great ideas for easy quilts. The disappearing 9 patch (D9P) is so easy and makes a big impact. Enjoy!
            ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

Hi Louise, Welcome to the forum. I am a new quilter and I just finished the Disappearing Nine Patch by watching the tutorial and I love it, it was easy and fun to do. Plus it makes it look like you're a pro. Hope you like it too, I know I will do them again and again. Good luck and happy quilting.
              Last edited by Txgrandma; July 29, 2011, 10:15 AM. Reason: Wrong key
              Mary
              A bed without a quilt, is like a sky without stars:)

Comment

Welcome! Jenny is the go to gal for wonderful tutorials for beginners. I have and continue to learn so much from her. Also, I have Googled "Free beginner quilt patterns" and have found hundreds. Good luck and don't forget to Show & Tell your quilt when you're done!

Terri

Comment

The charm pack staggered table runner is really easy too. And it looks like you did so much when you get done, but it is simple, simple, simple! Hugs, Jan L
                  Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Here is the url for the staggered table runner that janluna mentions, it is easy, no need for a border, and looks good for many different seasons.

http://blog.missouriquiltco.com/bask...nner-tutorial/

Comment

Yes, a disappearing 9 patch would be a great one for you to start on. I make one today from start to finish with one charm pack and six extra solid charms for the center of the 9 block. After cutting each 9 patch into four blocks I set them in a 4 by 6 arrangement which came out to 39" by 26" without borders and binding. That should give you a rough idea of the size you could make with your charm packs. My set was really a wild design so I wanted the solid small block in there. Good luck, I know you will be thrilled with your project and welcome to the site.

Comment

Working...
                      X