Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

Anyone have any tips on keeping the clear plastic rulers we use for cutting fabric...how do you keep them from moving? I know being very careful and stand up (instead of sitting down) when making the cut, but still...mine will often move. Sometimes alot, sometimes just a tad, but even just a half-a-tad can mess things up! I have bought those little cushion circles to put on each corner of the ruler but those just seem to elevate the ruler so it doesn't sit on the fabric, there by allowing the fabric to move. Plus that raised the ruler to high for a small rotary cutter to be able to cut. I bought the peel and stick stuff that supposedly keeps the ruler from sliding, but all that does is make the back even more slick..it literally does nothing to "secure" the ruler to the fabric to stop any sliding. What a waste of money!

So, please share your tips and tricks for keep your ruler/template from sliding while you cut! I sure would appreciate it!
    Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Re: How do you keep ruler/template from moving when cutting with rotary cutter?

Since I put my O'Lipfa finger guards on (they are held on w/3M adhesive) my rulers rarely move! I love those things. I had only put it on my 24" ruler, but I broke out the 10" one and put it on my 12" ruler this past week. I have one more but will probably save it for a backup. They came in a set of three.......

image.jpg
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

I use a gypsy gripper which is a handle that can be moved from one ruler to another. puts an even hold on the ruler so it doesn't slip.

Comment

I recently applied a thin coat of rubber cement to the back of one of ny rulers. It seems to be working pretty well.

Holly

Comment

Try putting the little circles every few inches. One in each corner won't be enough.

I have learned that some brands of ruler are better at staying put than others. Creative Grids are good, for example. You also may need to move your hand if you are cutting a long strip, e.g., with 24 inch ruler. Just stop moving the cutter but don't pick it up and the reposition the hand that is holding the ruler further away from you. Then start moving the cutter again.

Slippery rulers are a pain!

Comment

I have to say I just lean on the ruler and cut. When I started I seemed to find the 'sweet spot' of weight on the ruler and not much on the cutter. Keep sharp blades in your cutter and find your sweet spot.
            Blog
            http://divinedaisydesigns.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

You can always try a Quilter's Slidelock. It doesn't measure unless you use the cutting mat, so you can use with any ruler to set width of cut. It has little feet or knobs that are non stick and and hold the fabric down when you press on the handle. The handle takes up most of the ruler, so it evens out the pressure from pushing it down. You have pressure on maybe 22 inches, rather than the 9 or less inches of your hand.

The 24" does hold fabric for the whole width.
              Home Page - Quilter's Slide Lock | Quilter's Slide Lock
              Last edited by Alpha O; October 5, 2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Duct tape. I recommend duct tape.

I've tried several things but still have issues now and again. I agree that having a truly sharp blade helps - you can skim through that fabric before the ruler knows you've put the metal down - and it doesn't have time to move.

(I've never used the gripper handle though - may have to look into that one).
                Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I bought some little gripper spots from MSQC. Do not remember just what they are called but they work great. They stick on the back of your rulers..it takes 6 or 8 of them per long ruler.

Comment

My favorite tool also.
                    Originally posted by Alpha O View Post
                    You can always try a Quilter's Slidelock. It doesn't measure unless you use the cutting mat, so you can use with any ruler to set width of cut. It has little feet or knobs that are non stick and and hold the fabric down when you press on the handle. The handle takes up most of the ruler, so it evens out the pressure from pushing it down. You have pressure on maybe 22 inches, rather than the 9 or less inches of your hand.

The 24" does hold fabric for the whole width.
                    Home Page - Quilter's Slide Lock | Quilter's Slide Lock
                    sigpic

Comment

When using a long ruler, never cut further (or is it farther?) than you can apply pressure. Instead, apply pressure to the lower half (or third) and cut just to where your hand ends. Then stop cutting and gently walk your fingers up the ruler. Press and repeat the cut until you are done.
                      Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                      Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

I also want to add to make sure you have a sharp blade on your rotary cutter. Cutting fabric should be effortless. The more pressure you have to use to cut, the more pressure you need to hold down your ruler. In this scenario, if you slip the consequences can be dangerous.

It's kinda like shaving- it's always safer with a newer sharp blade.

Comment

If I hold my cutter straight, that helps a ton. I have a habit of leaning the blade into the ruler and that causes it to slide.

I put the clear medical tape, the kind with little ridges, on my rules and that seemed to help as much as anything else I have tried. I am going to try the rubber cement when I think to buy some.

Once I used some of that sticky clear rubbery stuff that comes underneath new credit cards. The stuff that holds them to the card and that held my ruler just perfect, no sliding at all! I googled it and couldn't find a way to buy small amounts for quilting rulers...It's so sticky, you would need to replace it every now and then because of threads and such. But it works really well!

Comment

Just roll some packaging tape and place on the back of the ruler-it won't slip! Cheap solution!

Comment

I like Invisigrip. It's a clear film that you apply to the underside of rulers. It is a cling film, not adhesive, so you can reposition it if you need to. I bought one roll several years ago, and I have covered all of my rulers and still have leftover for future rulers. It stays on. I have never had to replace it.

Amazon.com: Omnigrid Invisible Grip Roll, 12-1/2 by 36- Inch

Also, with the hand that holds the ruler, have your last couple of fingers off the ruler and on the table (opposite side of the blade of course). That helps to steady it.

Comment

Working...
                              X