Let's Talk Fabric Markers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's Talk Fabric Markers

What are the most reliable fabric markers? I don't mean marking pens that come out, but rather markers used for design and most importantly...signing our labels. I recently used a Sharpie for a label, but haven't washed it yet to see how it holds up. Are Sharpies reliable or are there better options out there?

Thank you, Ladies!

*hugs*
    Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
    Summer Lee Quilts

Re: Let's Talk Fabric Markers

Summer, I'm so glad you brought this up. I've never put identifying labels on my quilts and am going to start. I been looking online and a lot of people seem to be using Pigma, but it would be nice to know what people on this site use.
    Bec

Comment

i've used Pigma because thye seem to be recommended a lot. i was not completely happy with the results-still seemed to bleed a bit more than i like. IF I remember, I will embroider a label.
      sometimes i really don't want a label, just a date, that's why i bought the pen. i would like to hear other suggestions, too.
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I have always used the Pigma Micron 01 (0.25 line width) pen. These are available at most quilt shops. My quilt labels have held up well over the years and my quilts get used and washed. When I used to hand quilt everything, I would apply my label to the quilt back before I quilted it, so the label was quilted onto the quilt and couldn't easily be removed if the quilt was stolen. Now that I use a LAQer, it's not really an option. If you quilt your own quilts, I think this is a good idea. Sorry if I got off topic....Barb
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

There are several other threads on this with lots of ideas and opinions. You can search for them using the little white box up in the blue header bar.

Basically, Sharpies will wash, but will also bleed out an oily halo after a bit. The Micron Pigma pens bleed less than the Sharpies and hold up well in the wash. I have also used the Millennium markers by Zig with good results. I strongly suggest that you use a scrap of you fabric and do a bit of test writing on it and chuck it in the wash. This will let you know how the ink reacts to the fabric and the dyes and how washable it is. Check the scrapbooking section of the craft stores for the pens in different widths and colors that are sold individually. (My daughter's simple baby blanket has been washed multiple times and Great Grammy's writing with the Zig looks like the day she got it.)
          I have also used rubber stamps with fabric ink for making individual labels. My guess is you could get a stamp custom made with your name in a fun font, and then have a space for the date you made the quilt.
          Last edited by toggpine; July 28, 2011, 03:40 PM.
          Be who you are and say what you feel
          because those who mind don't matter,
          and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

I was using the Pigma but didn't really like how it looked and was still nervous that it wouldn't last through washings, so I started just writing my labels and then hand embroidering over the written part. Then I make a frame with fabric I used in the quilt and hand stitch it to a corner. It doesn't really take too long and I am much happier at the way they look.
            I am thinking about getting some custom labels from here:
            http://quiltingintherain.blogspot.co...lt-labels.html
            Patti
            "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I have not used them on quilts but there is a difference in Sharpies and Industrial Sharpies. I have used an industrial one to put markings on a canvas table that is ironed on with a boiler steam iron and the marks are there after several years.
              Last edited by Claire Hallman; July 28, 2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I used to sign my quilts with Pigma pens. However, nowdays embroidery machines are able to stitch very tiny lettering. If you don't embroider - I bet someone in your guild would be able to stitch a label for you. I put my labels on my back fabric before it is quilted, so it is permanent and also permanent!
                Good Luck!
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X