Disappearing Nine Patch Layout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappearing Nine Patch Layout

I have all my blocks pieced and cut apart for the Disappearing Nine Patch Quilt. I used 4 charm packs from the Ala Carte Collection by American Jane. I used red Moda solid for the center of each block. I will have a matching Moda red solid 2-1/2" border and a 4" print border in red paisley from the collection.

I looked at Jenny's tutorial. She placed her blocks so that the seams did not have to be matched. I have also seen a layout where two of the center blocks touch diagonally in the center.

Have any of you made this quilt? What layout did you use?

Re: Disappearing Nine Patch Layout

I've made a few - and there is no wrong nor right way to lay out your blocks. Play around with what you have and see what arrangements pleases you more. It can look scrappy or controlled depending on which sections are turned and what direction they are rotated.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Just play with the blocks, you will see the layout that appeals to you.
      sigpic

Comment

I did two and they were put together all hap hazard until I learned that there is so many layouts for this. Self sashing is one I want to try. There is the gallery group so you can see some designs.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/gro...p-library.html
        "People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason why the world is in chaos is because things are being loved and people are being used"― Dalai Lama XIV

Comment

I like to reverse 2 opposite corners. When you have the same center color, using this layout creates a secondary pattern. I also did one with sashing, using a similar color for the cornerstones as I did for the center squares. Try a few layouts (take pics) and see which you like best.

Here are 2 I did, one with sashing, 1 without. Both were done by reversing opposite corners.
          D9P-sashing on point.jpg

D9P-no sashing.jpg

Comment

I've only done one, and I didn't like the first layout, so I ended up ripping it and resewing it a different way.

This was the top before frogging:

This is the final layout, quilted but not bound yet:

I think it is a matter of personal preference.

Comment

I did the diagonal touching. I almost think that the fabric will dictate which way to place them. Also thank you, I never get tired of showing off my creation, I'm so proud of it and every day am in awe that I did it.

001 (480x640).jpg
              Since you're always on my mind can you straighten out the mess up there?

Comment

I have done them both ways, but I prefer using the center squares touching diagonally. I would do whatever pleases you the most. Play around with them, and see what you like.
                Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                sigpic

Comment

D9P (800x600).jpgThere's no right or wrong way to do this. If you want to eliminate as many matching seams as possible and do the layout as was done in Jenny's tutorial, this may help you. Sorry, I can't get this image any larger.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Sharyn J; October 4, 2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

You guys are the best. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I will post a pic when I get it done.

Comment

Finished D9P Quilt 6-2013 001.jpgFriendship Star, Dis. 9-Patch 2, Noah's Ark 2 - Jan. 2014 019.jpgFriendship Star, Dis. 9-Patch 2, Noah's Ark 2 - Jan. 2014 020.jpg I've made 2 D9P quilts. I like it with the small squares positioned diagonally in the center. You can see my albums for other pics. If you google D9P you'll find numerous ways to lay it out. JCY

Comment

Originally posted by katier825 View Post
                        I like to reverse 2 opposite corners. When you have the same center color, using this layout creates a secondary pattern. I also did one with sashing, using a similar color for the cornerstones as I did for the center squares. Try a few layouts (take pics) and see which you like best.

Here are 2 I did, one with sashing, 1 without. Both were done by reversing opposite corners.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]88700[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]88701[/ATTACH]
                        I really like the this 'on point' version of the D9P - did you work that out for yourself or is there a pattern with instructions, yardage etc? I guess you added your own sashing as well. Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by sewUK View Post
                          I really like the this 'on point' version of the D9P - did you work that out for yourself or is there a pattern with instructions, yardage etc? I guess you added your own sashing as well. Very nice
                          I drew it out myself.

Comment

Originally posted by katier825 View Post
                            I drew it out myself.
                            Any tips? especially on the amount of fabric you used. Cheers!

Comment

D9P is my favorite quilt using charm squares. I have made a few of those. Here are the links/pictures
                              Sew Preeti Quilts: Quilt # 2
                              Sew Preeti Quilts: Quilt # 4 - Down to Earth
                              Sew Preeti Quilts: Quilt # 7 - Alphabet Soup
                              Sew Preeti Quilts: Paul's Quilt - Week One (Happy Interruption)
                              Preeti
                              http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X