Are kits worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are kits worth it?

Since I have not yet gone out to purchase all of the specified quilt materials for a given quilt, I'm having a hard time in my mind trying to compare the cost of a kit to buying the materials and cutting myself.
    I've bought 2 jelly rolls, a layer cake, and a couple of charm packs before, but nearly all of my fabric stash (which is accumulating quickly) are things I have picked up here or there when on sale and I have a coupon or something.
    When Joanne's had a sale on fat quarters ($1.00) I went crazy and bought all kinds. So I have materials to work with, but I see these beautiful kits on sale, with everything already cut (attractive to a newbie) and I yearn to buy one.... but am shy of the prices.

I have indeed seen how much the cost of fabric has gone up in the lest ten years so am not surprised at the cost of things.
    I'm just wondering if a kit is on sale...when is it a bargain and the cost is about the same as if you bought and cut the materials yourself?
    Sonic is learning to sew and quilt. .....

Re: Are kits worth it?

I like kits when I want that exact look. However I think your question is to the cost. The best thing to do is look at the fabrics requirements to make the pattern. Add up the total yardage and average out how much per yard (just a close guess). Then figure out how much the yardage will cost. Com pair that to the kits cost. This should give a a base to go from. Be careful to read what is in the kit, some have binding and some don't. A few sometimes come with the backing but most don't.
    sigpicAnita G.

Comment

I have only purchased 3 kits and two of them were identical and all of them were quilts that I was gifting. The 2 kits that were identical were short the same fabric in both of them. The manufacturer fixed the situation but was nerve racking as I was on a deadline. The third kit was a pleasant surprise. I purchased it from Fat Quarter Shop and they were more than generous with their fabric cuts ie: they could have sent a Fatquarter for some of their cuts but sent 10" x WOF. I have enough fabric left over, even after a couple of miscuts!, that I will make a table topper out of the leftovers. Be aware that most kits do not come with the pieces already cut, it is pieces of fabric that you cut out yourself. Both times I have purchased kits, it was a convenience factor. I didn't have to find all the fabrics and then have to buy a bigger piece of fabric than I needed. The kit I purchased from Fatquartershop probably had $65 worth of fabric in it and I only paid $75+shipping. Not a bad deal for someone else to do the groundwork for me. Some kits cut it very close though with the fabric they send and there may be an issue of not enough fabric if you happen to have a miscut(s). If you like a kit, go for it! I dont get caught up in them mainly because I like to chose my own fabrics and I just don't want to have a quilt that a hundred other people have the exact same one.
      Last edited by Auntpiggylpn; September 27th, 2014, 10:44 AM.

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

Comment

I sometimes like to buy a kit if I want those exact fabrics. I do not live near a quilt shop that carries a large assortment of fabrics so I would have to do a lot of online searching or driving long distances to collect fabrics for a particular quilt. Some of the kits I have never gotten around to making yet. I have one that my daughter picked out and then decided she did not like the finished quilt pics. Ahmm. Some I have used the fabrics for other projects or added fabrics of my own that I liked better. As the quilter said in above post, read the info carefully about the contents, check size of finished quilt, etc. Often one on sale is a good value if you have to consider your time and gas expenses for driving around to find the fabrics. Also, I have noticed that some shops sell a kit that they have chosen similar fabrics to the ones in the pictured kit. I might like their choices and then I might not. Just some ideas.

Comment

I have bought a few kits from Connecting Threads that were on clearance and felt I really got a good deal. They were more than generous with their fabric and I had enough left over from one wall hanging where if I added a small amount of fabric could make another one.
          Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I live out of US and do my most of fabric shopping on line when I am State side . Buying kits is a very convienent for me. The first kit I bought was from FatQuarter shop. Before I bought it I called to ask if there was room for beginners errors. They sent me an extra fat quarter and enough backing for two baby quilts. I have bought 3 more kits from them and all have generous cuts of fabric. I bought two table runner kits at Joanns ( don't remember brand) and both of them had skimpy, poorly cut fabrics. I had to use my stash to complete them.
            "Never stop believing that fighting for what is right is worth it"
            Hillary Clinton

Comment

If you want the exact look-kits are the way to go. Most retailers do up the cost of the fabric in kits to account for the time the worker took to cut the kit. Most kits only give a buyer only the amount needed to make the quilt. If you aren't a scrap user that's a plus too. In the end, I feel like quilting is justifiable. Even if a kit cost $100, you'll like have 10 or more into making it. What else can you do for entertainment for $10 an hour and have something tangible once you're done. Going to a concert cost much more and in the end all you have a picture of you at the concert.

Comment

I think if you get the kit on sale/clearance preferably - then it is a good deal (Craftsy does have some great sales, also have seen Fons and Porter with good clearance) - If you are not super picky and are flexible with what you want to make, you can get a great kit for less than what it would cost to buy everything separately. I can't see myself buying a kit at full price UNLESS it was a pattern and colors that I absolutely looooove - and it was something that may be a bit of a challenge to put colors together myself

Comment

Originally posted by jokramer View Post
                  If you want the exact look-kits are the way to go. Most retailers do up the cost of the fabric in kits to account for the time the worker took to cut the kit. Most kits only give a buyer only the amount needed to make the quilt. If you aren't a scrap user that's a plus too. In the end, I feel like quilting is justifiable. Even if a kit cost $100, you'll like have 10 or more into making it. What else can you do for entertainment for $10 an hour and have something tangible once you're done. Going to a concert cost much more and in the end all you have a picture of you at the concert.
                  great perspective jo

Comment

I guess it depends on a few factors. Price, of course...Style - maybe. If for instance you needed to make something as a gift that was not to your taste and you don't think you'd use the leftovers for other projects, then a kit might be worth looking into. I bought one once because hubby liked it. I wasn't really paying attention because if I was, I would have noticed that the fabrics were all too similar in color/scale. It made for a very boring looking top, which is in my unfinished pile. It might come back to life with some applique, but I have not been inspired in the past few years to finish it. You also have to cut carefully because there is usually very little room for error.

Craftsy has some great prices on kits. I've even been tempted just to get the fabrics in the kit and use my own patterns. Sometimes the prices are nearly 1/2 off the yardage prices.

Comment

I love to buy kits based on patterns I love, like Kaffe Fassett, it saves me a lot of time from hunting down specific fabrics. I have found some really great deals on kits at local shops. Shops often deeply discount kits when they get down to just one or two quilt kits left of a particular design. Sometimes I will buy those discounted kits just for the fabric.
                      Tortugaquilter

Comment

I like buying kits. You know how your project is going to turn out because you see the sample.

They also make great gifts. For example, my brother bought me a quilt kit last Christmas, and my mother bought me one for my birthday.

Comment

I have kits that I have made and kits that I have re-designated for something else too. It's great to read the responses about where to get them for good prices. I wouldn't have thought that Craftsy sells kits. I thought they only had classes. I suppose I will need to check in to that.
                          About the price - if I absolutely love the fabrics and pattern inside and the price isn't crazy, I will buy it. I have seen some crazy prices.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                          http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                          http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? quilting trish

Comment

I have purchased two kits that I'm going to make my nephews for Christmas. I think they were a good deal, even at regular price. I think we need to balance the sticker shock of seeing the price of the whole quilt top plus binding laid out in a package vs collecting over time. I have went in and purchased all I need for a quilt all at once and had the same sticker shock - even when I'm using discounted fabrics and sales it adds up!

If you are somebody who finds the process of choosing fabrics that coordinate well then kits are an even better bet. They take that work out of the project.

Terri

Comment

I don't buy many kits, just because I like to do my own thing. However I buy most of my kits from fab fabrics, which is owned by superior threads. They are really generous with fabric, and they always put the thread in kits.

Comment

Working...
                              X