Paper Piecing???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper Piecing???

I started the Farmer's Wife Sampler and I am really enjoying the little blocks, but some of the pieces are so tiny. I joined the Yahoo group and a lot of the people are paper piecing their blocks. I've never tried it, but want to. Just curious, if any of you paper piece? If so--is it difficult?
    Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: Paper Piecing???

I absolutely LOVE to paper piece. Even a beginner can make the most intricate blocks with complete accuracy. I would highy recommend that you give it a good try. There is a wonderful tool called an 'Add-A-Quarter" and also an 'Add-An-Eight' ruler to help you achieve the perfect amount of seam allowance when you trim. For tiny blocks yu would want the Add-An-Eighth (to reduce bulk)...for standard blocks the Add-A-Quarter is used. These are available online and at quilt shops and cost very little. Barb
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I've looked at paper piecing and really don't see that it would work for me or be something I could conquer. However, give me foundation paper piecing and I'm in hog heaven (or at least pork rib heaven).
      Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
      it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Hi-

I love to paper piece. It is more time consuming definately, but I love the perfect results that you achieve. I have done several. I will see if I can find a photo of the blue/yellow pineapple quilt that I did for my mom. She is out here somewhere so maybe she has it. I think it is one of those things that once you try, you either love it or hate it!

Comment

Lisa, Sandy brings up a good point: There are two types of paper piecing (1) foundation paper piecing where you lay your fabric pieces on the paper design and sew on the printed lines, trim, press and go to the next piece, and (2) paper piecing as in English paper piecing where you cover paper shapes with your fabric and then whip stitch the pieces together by hand.

If you were referring to foundation paper piecing, that would be great if you can get ahold of the printed foundation papers. The other type of paper piecing is really tedious and you would literally need the patience of Mother Theresa to complete one block. I would contact some of the quilters using paper and find out which method they are using. Barb
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Lisa,
            I have done foundation piecing on the patterned fabric. I made an American Beauty wall hanging and it was so easy. You don't have to tear the paper away either. It all stays on the fabric. You can buy different patterns by the yard, that way you can make as many or as few as you wish. I know you will enjoy it. Glenda

Comment

I have also done some foundation paper piecing and it does give good results. My suggestion is that you find some tutorials on you-tube before you begin so you'll understand the need for the "add a quarter (or eight)", and how it all works. I find I don't paper piece often enough so a quick refresher helps it all come back to me.
              When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Foundation Paper piecing is very easy and you will always have perfect blocks. I have done many of these
                Patrice

Comment

Foundation piecing--that's what I meant. I found the Add-A-Quarter ruler at our LQS today. I'm excited to actually get close to having a "perfect" block! That's a new one for me.
                  Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Lisa,
                    I do a lot of paper piecing and foundation piecing. Once you get the hand of it, watch out. It is quite addictive. Glad you found the add a quarter ruler. I would be lost without mine.
                    I still haven't looked at the patterns in The Farmers Wife book. Just still reading the letters. It is actually quite relevant for today, don't you think?
                    Sewing mends the soul.
                    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Barb, thanks for the explanation about the different paper piecing methods. Sounds like foundation piecing is another thing I have to put on my list. So many projects, so much to learn, so little time.
                      ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

@Blondie--yes the letters are so relevant to today. What amazes me is how elegant the letters are. I love reading a few every night. The quarter ruler is great--but I did buy the large one and now I'm wishing I would have bought the small one. Oh well I'll pick it up the next time I'm there. I am loving paper piecing so far and yes it does take a lot more time to finish a block.
                        Lisa

Comment

Lisa, I only have the small one. I don't think I have ever seen a large add a quarter. Once you get on a roll, you are going to be consumed. Don't throw those scraps out unless they are ultra tiny. There are patterns that need small pieces.
                          Sewing mends the soul.
                          sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                          Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                          ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                          X