Backing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing

I have a question on laying backing...Is it better to do you backing length ways or can you do is width ways as well. I hope I'm making sense.

Can you sew your backing together to lay width ways or does it have to go up and down?

Alana
    Alana
    To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
    alanashideaway.blogspot.com
    https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Re: Backing

Hi Alana, yes you make sense lol
    I have pieced backing both horizontally and vertically and it worked fine for me. Good luck with your quilt and please share photos when you're finished?
    ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
    Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
    (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

This is so good!! It will use a lot less fabric too. Thanks Mia!!

Alana
      Alana
      To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong.
      alanashideaway.blogspot.com
      https://www.facebook.com/quiltsbyAlana

Comment

Just make sure your seam isn't in the center where the quilt will commonly be folded. That way it doesn't wear out over time!
        Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
        Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
        Pinterest

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine Vickery Ringo View Post
          Just make sure your seam isn't in the center where the quilt will commonly be folded. That way it doesn't wear out over time!
          Good point. I never would have thought of that.
          ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

And, make sure you remove the selvage edge before sewing the pieces together.
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Originally posted by Katherine Vickery Ringo View Post
              When I am piecing two pieces of equal size I split one in half and piece them either side of the single piece giving two seams that are not in in the centre.This is also preferred if you find it necessary to use two different fabrics, it looks designed that way rather than 'oops I don't have enough fabric'.

You can use as many pieces or left over blocks as you like for the back and piece them in any direction you like, I loved pieced backs they are so much more interesting than plain ones.
              Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

AAQ says to also use 1/2" seam and to press it to one side to prevent stress. Also according to them, it can go either way.
                If you decide to take your quilt to a longarmer, you should have an extra 8 inches on all sides of batting and backing.

Hugs,
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
                http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
                http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Originally posted by quiltingtrish View Post
                  If you decide to take your quilt to a longarmer, you should have an extra 8 inches on all sides of batting and backing.
                  To clarify this, that is 4" on each side so a total of 8".
                  Lynn

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain" Anonymous.

Comment

I recently had a quilt done by a LAQ and she told me the seam of your backing should always go crosswise because of the way the quilts are placed into their quilting machine. When I hand quilted everything, I placed the seam either way. I would even do that if I were using my home sewing machine. If you will be taking a quilt to be done by a LAQer I would make an effort to run the seam crosswise. Barb
                    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love piecing the backing also ..... here's my favorite look .... but as others have said.... there are many different ideas.
                      I pieced a row of 10" squares together and used them as the vertical center of the back... adding enough fabric to either side to complete the backing. On another quilt I sewed all of my leftover jellyroll strips together and used it as the center strip.... again adding solid fabric to either side. I sure hope this sounds as simple as it actually is. If not ... please give me a holler and I'll try again lol ......
                      ~~ Hugs and Blessings,
                      Mia

...quilters come with strings attached
                      (boy aint that the darn truth !!)

Comment

Gee, never thought of piecing the back. What a great idea and a wonderful way to use fabric. I have always just got the wider fabric. Can you tell I haven't made that many quilts? Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Originally posted by meemeecyn View Post
                          Gee, never thought of piecing the back. What a great idea and a wonderful way to use fabric. I have always just got the wider fabric. Can you tell I haven't made that many quilts? Thanks for the idea!
                          I have a quilt I'm going to back with fat quarters. I got them for $1 each while my LQS was having a superbowl sunday sale. They're all Thimbleberries fabrics, neutrals. I've never done a backing this way and am curious as to how it will turn out. Don't know when I'll get it finished....
                          When life throws you scraps, make a quilt! :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

I am really still learning and learn something new with each project.

Today I learned to put whatever you piece in the middle or at least not at the edges.

The one I finished today had to have the back a bit wider and I added to each edge and it shifted a tiny bit while quilting so the back edges look a little wonky. it looks OK, not gonna re-do it but will do it differently next time.

Comment

Lynn, most of my backs are odd color leftovers. Occasionally I will stick in a UFO and giggle about it.
                              Sewing mends the soul.
                              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                              X