Question for longarm quilters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for longarm quilters

I picked up 6 quilts from my LAQ yesterday and was very disappointed to find that she had pieced the batting in 4 of the 6 quilts. She did not butt it together and zig zag or use the batting iron on tape but rather just overlapped it anywhere from 1/2" to 1 1/2". On the edge of one she had several small pieces stuck in to fill out so she could quilt to the edge, she did comment when I picked them up that she used the pieces left from 5 to piece the last one, these were all twin size so I assumed they would be wide strips and joined correctly but there was 4 pieced not 1. She is a great quilter and where I live am very limited on quilters , I don't know what I should do other then voice my displeasure with the batting issue. Would anyone who quilts for others do this without asking first. I have never complained about the price when I pick them up so don't know why she would choose to use scraps and not charge me for batting in one. Should have taken some pics before I sewed the binding on so you could see how it was pieced but I didn't . Sorry for the lengthiness of this guess I just need to get it off my chest.

Re: Question for longarm quilters

I'm sorry, must be frustrating. I don't have any experience either way, quilting or being a customer but it doesn't seem very professional to me.
    Vernona

Comment

I would never piece a customer batting without asking. I do piece my batting for charity quilt if I can put them together in two or three pieces but always butt them up and zigzag. I am so sorry this happened to you.
      Bernice

Comment

So sorry that happened! I have never had anything LAQ, but that doesn't sound right to me either. I would definitely mention it so she doesn't do that again without asking.
        Melissa

I really hate it when the voices in my head argue among themselves as though I wasn't even in the room.

I tried to be normal once......worst two minutes of my life.

Comment

The lady who has done a few quilts for me has asked if I am happy to have joins in the batting, never just done it and she does a good job and joins it properly. I would tell this woman about your concerns.
          ​Robyn

Comment

That is crazy! When you overlap the quilt is thicker there. If you don't secure them together they will separate in the wash! You need to get your money back, because she was cutting corners on your job at the expense of your quilt not done right, and maybe ruined. I use two pieces butted together and zigzagged, using the straight finished edge of the batting and they butt together perfectly. Cannot understand how someone hopes to keep customers doing this kind of shoddy work.

Comment

Agree, agree, agree. If she is a great quilter - perhaps you continue using her but provide batting in the future and ask for a definite price reduction if you supply it.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

Wow..that would be frustrating. I am not sure what I'd do. I didn't know about the butting the batting. I always butt it exactly at edge, then spray adhesive then pin and make sure when I FMQ there that it is all in place and even. But I didn't know that it could be pulled while washing...well, guess I never thought of that happening. I'll have to be more careful next time. Maybe take them back and tell her you aren't happy with them and why and see what she says and go from there. I hope you can make them work for what you made them for.
                Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

Am I correct in that she charged you for the batting? If so, it should be fresh batting all in one piece. I longarm in my business and I would never splice the batting if the customer was buying it from me. This is not the normal practice. You should mention to her your disapointment. If you really like her quilting, then I would make sure to tell her next time, no spliced batting. Let her keep the scraps for her own personal quilts.

Comment

Did I read your post right that she pieced the batting on 4 of your 6 quilts and then charged you batting for 5? This really seems wrong to me? If I paid for batting I would not want it pieced and if it was it should be done right.
                    Vernona

Comment

I never, splice batting for customers, communication is important talk to her, since you are a returning customer I am sure she just never gave it a thought .

Comment

That is really strange - I won't even do that with my own quilts. I have zig zagged two pieces but never multiple pieces -not on a quilt - I really think the LA quilter should have given you the option for one piece batting rather than piecing the batting.

Comment

Wow! I am so sorry to hear about this. Your concerns are valid and you should receive a large refund or discount. You are paying for the batting by the yard, it should be used that way. Not pieced!
                          I have two kinds of batting on hand for my customers to choose from and both are 90" wide on the bolt/roll. You also should receive any extra scraps that are trimmed from around the outside. I have to agree with the other ladies, she doesn't sound very professional. Communication is the key, talk to her and explain your frustrations. Hopefully she will understand where you are coming from and will work with you on a solution. She is in the wrong on this one. Since she didn't piece it correctly your quilts could be damaged, I am shocked that she wouldn't know that.

Even if you live in an area with limited local choices for LAQ you shouldn't feel you have to stay with one if you aren't thrilled with the results. There are plenty of us out here that would absolutely love to quilt for you! Most of us take the title "Professional Quilter" seriously and I am sure I'm not the only one who has deals on shipping.
                          I hope your next experience is a wonderful one,
                          Carol

Comment

Piecing batting in a customer's project is unacceptable in my opinion. I'd be very upset. Since you don't want to ruffle any feathers and want to use her services again, provide her with the batting or make it very clear that you DO NOT want pieced batting in your quilts. I wonder how she would react if you asked her if she's aware that overlapping is not the correct way to piece batting? Maybe she doesn't know the proper method. However, telling her no more pieced batting in your quilts might be enough for her to realize perhaps she's not doing it right.
                            Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; September 21st, 2014, 05:18 AM.
                            Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

No, no, and no!!

I would never piece together batting on a customer quilt without asking them first, and properly butting it up and stitching it together.
                              If you use her again, ask for whole pieces, and definitely call and express your disappointment. You should be have to pay for shoddy work. If she wants to save a buck, tell her to buy in bulk at wholesale costs.

I charge by the yard, and if I'm charging for 2 yards, you get 2 yards. I don't trim the quilts, so you get the excess. You paid for it- it's yours.
                              "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

Working...
                              X